Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Triggering an Intellitec Generator AGS System

My MH has an Intellitec 800 Energy Management System (EMS) as well as an Intellitec Generator Logic Control (GLC). The EMS came standard with the MH, but I added the GLC shortly after taking delivery. When I first installed the GLC, I hard wired a stand-alone thermostat to the t-stat input of the GLC, to trigger a generator start in the event of high temperature, to help keep our dog safe during the summer. The stand-alone thermostat is mechanical and I don’t have a great deal of faith in it. This past weekend it triggered a generator start at 80F degrees while connected to active shore power, even though the trigger thermostat was set at 90F. I am now wondering if it might be safer to add a trigger that would start the generator in the event of an AC power loss, instead of a call from the thermostat. I am thinking that this may be possible with a relay connected to the EMS, that would send a signal to the GLC if power is lost. I have limited electrical knowledge so I am not sure how to wire anything like this up, but I know there are many electrical gurus in this forum, so I thought I’d turn here for help.

Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

It would seem that there should be logic in the unit to sense the presence of shore power and only start the genset if shore power is not present. The way my unit (different brand than yours) is supposed to work is if there is no shore power, the temp setting is reached and the AC unit is activated, it will start the genset.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
It would seem that there should be logic in the unit to sense the presence of shore power and only start the genset if shore power is not present. The way my unit (different brand than yours) is supposed to work is if there is no shore power, the temp setting is reached and the AC unit is activated, it will start the genset.

I agree, unfortunately my Intellitec doesn't possess that logic. I have a Magnum charger/inverter. Magnum also makes an AGS unit, but it only works off of inside temp as my current Intellitec does. Do you have the Onan AGS?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #4

I have the Magnum unit----
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

I have the Onan Energy Command. It is hardwired. It senses if shore power is present, if shore power is present, it will not start the Genny period. If shore power is absent and the air conditioner is on, it will start the generator when the thermostat calls for cooling. It will turn the genny off when the thermostat is satisfied. It always runs the genny for a minimum of 10 minutes. It will also start and stop the generator based on house battery voltage.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator