Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Trimetric/Victron Battery Monitor Questions

Hi folks,

I purchased a new to me Itasca Latitude. On my old coach the battery bay was under the steps so it was easy to run the cable inside for the Trimetric

As this coach is a pusher the battery bay is right in the back.

I don't have the expertise to get the cable in to the coach and farming out the work would be expensive.

1. Mount the Trimetic in the battery bay (its fully vented) and leave it at that.

2. Mount a blue tooth Victron and sell the Trimetic.

3. Mount both the Trimetric and the Victron in the battery bay (can I have both?)

Is the Victron even as good as the Trimetric?

Thanks,

Stephen

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_204202.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	204544
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

1stMH-

Based on the coach drawings, I believe it would not be too difficult to get the cable from the shunt to the display inside the coach.

You would need to do some investigation, or find a friend to do it for you.

I don't believe it is wise to mount the display in the battery compartment. An adjacent compartment, perhaps. Better still to be inside the coach, where you can look at it frequently.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

Hi Mark,

As always thanks for the help.

I don't really mind where in the coach it goes, either by the door or the one place panel would be fine.

The battery bay is not really an enclosed compartment, I can see plenty of daylight towards the back of it.

I will give Winneabgo a call and see what they say.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

And to finish up with your questions: are the Trimetric and Victron equal? No, probably not. The Trimetric has more bells and whistles on the technical side while the Victron is cool because it has a cell phone app. I've used both and have the Victron now and like it!

If you just can't get the wires to the front where you should have the Trimetric then I'd go Victron and use the app. Try to keep the meter out of the battery bay proper. Maybe in the bay next door? Short run, maybe one little hole drilled between the bays.

One final argument in favor of forcing the Trimetric to work for you is when you add solar on the roof you can use the Trimetric's best friend the SC-30 charge controller for a very good combination.

Get yourself and your rig to Show Low AZ before June 14 and I'll run the wire for you!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks Kelly,

I am hoping to get the Trimetric mounted in the coach :-)

I do appreciate the offer of helping to run the wire :-)

Tags
battery