Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2023, 07:22 PM   #1

Question Truck DC amps

Much has been written about DC-DC charging for LFP. Yet there seems to be a gap.

My trailer power fuse is 40A, which seems large, as the wire at the receptacle is 14ga at best. I looked inside it and only the ground is a larger than a very narrow blade. I've seen many posts saying most trucks have 10ga wire and I want to laugh. I really don't want to run new wire, especially an additional trailer connection. Yet as is I'm not getting much.

So what charger to use? A typical 20A version seems far too large, Victron's 18A isn't much better. Red Arc has a 12A device. https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us...attery-charger Also it seems expensive, at twice the others.

Are there other options? Am I missing something?
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2023, 09:37 AM   #2

In all my years of towing travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers I have never had an issue with truck 'charging' not being able to 'maintain' trailer battery voltage while in transit......which is all it is for.

Are you having trailer battery issues while traveling?
IF Yes
What is drawing so heavily on your trailer battery that truck 'charging' can't 'maintain'?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:29 PM   #3

My 2017 F350 charges my 2 12VDC size 31 batteries at about 10VDC on hook up with high idle ON and the F350 pumping out 14.3 VDC to the RV and truck batteries. So, my RV batteries are pretty low (probably at 12.7 VDC) and 14.3 VDC really charges them in a hurry. I think the F350 has a 20 amp fuse on that circuit. Once charged, the RV batteries are being charged at less than 3 amp (VDC from the F350 varies between 13.6 and 14.3) with fridge and other stuff running while on the road. So whatever the gauge of the charging wire(s) it's more than adequate for the job especially for short periods of time.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:30 PM   #4

oops that is 10 amps and not 1- VDC......
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #5

Anyone added a 20A DC-DC without new wires?
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:42 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I added a DC- DC system. It was probably a waste of time and money. I don't travel very long each day before stopping and then I have shore power. So just about all the time I don't bother to engage the Dc - DC charging system and just let the battery run the RC.

I could have (should have?) just let the truck's charging system provide whatever it was providing for my short travel days.

The plus side of a DC charger is that you can set a profile to charge a lithium battery at the right voltage(s).
Old 02-13-2023, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I added a DC- DC system. It was probably a waste of time and money. I don't travel very long each day before stopping and then I have shore power. So just about all the time I don't bother to engage the Dc - DC charging system and just let the battery run the RC.

I could have (should have?) just let the truck's charging system provide whatever it was providing for my short travel days.

The plus side of a DC charger is that you can set a profile to charge a lithium battery at the right voltage(s).
As you found out, it depends on your use case as to whether or not a DC-DC is useful to you.

I mainly boondock and am a power hog at times (system is built for that though). I also drive 3-10 hours each day so recharging the 400Ah of batteries for the next boondocking stay is critical to me. My solar can't always keep up do starting off topped off it vital to me.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:30 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We installed Solar along with the Li batteries in our last trailer, so I just pulled the fuse on the charge line in the truck. No DC/DC converter required, didn’t have to worry about overloading the alternator, let solar do its thing while driving and always arrived with full batteries.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps