Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #1

Truma AquaGo

Piggybacking on our last Truma system question: Anyone have/considering the Truma AquaGo hybrid instant/on-demand water heating system? Pros and cons?

TIA,

Dan and Dawn
TeamBnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have a water hookup, you can have endless hot showers at the expense of burning your propane. If saving water is the goal, the recirculating mode still burns propane. If you like saving propane by running on the campgrounds electricity, you're out of luck.
My old Pulse had a traditional 6 gal. LP/120vac heater and a 20 gal. propane tank. My new View has a Truma and a 12 gal. LP tank. Go figure.....
Old 05-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRbikes View Post
If you have a water hookup, you can have endless hot showers at the expense of burning your propane. If saving water is the goal, the recirculating mode still burns propane. If you like saving propane by running on the campgrounds electricity, you're out of luck.
My old Pulse had a traditional 6 gal. LP/120vac heater and a 20 gal. propane tank. My new View has a Truma and a 12 gal. LP tank. Go figure.....
^^^... we had a '14 Tiffin Phaeton with an endless hot water heater (the Brand escapes me right now) and it was great. Our current '22 Bay Star has the Truma and while it is good at providing hot water, as already said, it does NOT run on electric.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #4

I am giving thought to a way to design and install a recirculation system that will allow having cold water run thru the Truma and return it to the fresh tank for several seconds, hopefully close to the point of use, so hot water can be "there" when needed. (Perhaps a press of a button for a timed operation or an ON/OFF switch to manually start and stop). Otherwise, a fair amount of water is run thru the lines and into the drain waiting for hot water to arrive. That's no different than an ordinary water heater, except that considerably more water has to pass thru the Truma before it establishes the demand, fires and heats up so it can begin to deliver hot water, to have it at the same point the traditional water heater would have already been with a hot tank already waiting to be enjoyed.

By recirculating it back to the fresh tank, the water needed to be delivered to get hot water to the point of use would all be returned to the fresh tank and none would be sent on down the drain to take up what is sometimes precious space in the gray tank.

Bottom line is that I was pretty excited about our new coach having the on-demand-water heater, but experience has left me unhappy with the system, overall. "As is", I would not do it again. If I can get my idea to fruition, I think I will like it a ton! It can be pretty energy efficient, but it can be pretty water wasteful.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
I am giving thought to a way to design and install a recirculation system that will allow having cold water run thru the Truma and return it to the fresh tank for several seconds, hopefully close to the point of use, so hot water can be "there" when needed. (Perhaps a press of a button for a timed operation or an ON/OFF switch to manually start and stop). Otherwise, a fair amount of water is run thru the lines and into the drain waiting for hot water to arrive. That's no different than an ordinary water heater, except that considerably more water has to pass thru the Truma before it establishes the demand, fires and heats up so it can begin to deliver hot water, to have it at the same point the traditional water heater would have already been with a hot tank already waiting to be enjoyed.

By recirculating it back to the fresh tank, the water needed to be delivered to get hot water to the point of use would all be returned to the fresh tank and none would be sent on down the drain to take up what is sometimes precious space in the gray tank.

Bottom line is that I was pretty excited about our new coach having the on-demand-water heater, but experience has left me unhappy with the system, overall. "As is", I would not do it again. If I can get my idea to fruition, I think I will like it a ton! It can be pretty energy efficient, but it can be pretty water wasteful.
It sounds like you have either the Basic or the "regular" Comfort. The Comfort Plus has two modes, a regular mode and an eco mode. It already has built in internal re-circulation to keep the water warm, but, as already mentioned, it's doesn't have an electric mode and uses the propane the entire time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truma.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	366801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plus_Modes.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	366802  

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:12 AM   #6

Wow, Dewey, thank you for your great information. Now, unfortunately, I have to confess my error. I thought we had the Truma, but it is not. It is a Gerard. I like the thought with the Truma. Having the circulation system integrated with the unit makes it a very clean installation. The only thing that would be needed would be a crossover at the point of use to provide a return path, but that's easy.

I guess I still need to stay at my "drawing board". Cheers to all, and wish you a very thoughtful and blessed Memorial Day!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote