Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappion View Post
Performance may disappoint for a shuttle bus. It might take all night to cool down. Longer for a load of warm drinks. A lot depends on inside and outside temperatures.
Absorption fridges have the advantage of running off of propane, for boon docking off grid (1 way). Also can run off of AC heaters (2 way). Some have DC heaters too, but they may only keep it cold for traveling (3 way).
Post #12 OP stated 'It's COOLING'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #16

Shuttle Bus Performance?

Can you explain why the Performance would be different in a shuttle bus?

I can vent the top through the roof, and the bottom through the floor, but we're trying to keep from cutting up the sides of the bus.

Thanks, Jim.
JaimesBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #17

It's COOLING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Post #12 OP stated 'It's COOLING'
This is with the fridge standalone in the open in my workshop. It's not installed in the bus yet.

Back to efficiency... how important is the ability to run off propane? Which is more efficient, running a generator on the propane to run a compressor fridge, or using the propane to run the absorption fridge?
Old 11-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimesBeam View Post
This is with the fridge standalone in the open in my workshop. It's not installed in the bus yet.

Back to efficiency... how important is the ability to run off propane? Which is more efficient, running a generator on the propane to run a compressor fridge, or using the propane to run the absorption fridge?
Depends on the price of propane
Depends on how much propane per hour of run time the Generator uses
Generator can supply the AC for compressor fridge and other AC items
Compressor fridge doesn't require upper/lower vents like an absorption fridge does
Absorption fridge on propane uses very little propane...and only needs 12VDC for controls
Batteries need recharging daily when not connected to AC Shore Power....
Absorption fridges are NOT highly efficient but do provide a means of cold food storage with minimal propane usage

Choices......... your Bus, You need to decide what with work best for your usage.

Surprised that fridge is cooling out in open stand alone...that means it will work even better when installed with narrow clearances across backside so airflow/draft is directed up/across backside

But then again compressor unit can vent inside the bus no cutting roof/floor

Choices.........
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #19

Well, I played around with the propane cooling system for my Norcold fridge. I couldn't get it to work. When I hooked up the 12V battery, the igniter started clicking, but I couldn't see any spark. Nor did it light with a match after hooking up a propane tank. The spark didn't show any sign of stopping. My understanding was that it should stop trying to ignite after a minute. It didn't seem to stop at all, even with the mode switch set to OFF or ELECTRIC.

I need to play with it some more, take it apart and clean it, and see what's going on...
Old 11-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimesBeam View Post
Well, I played around with the propane cooling system for my Norcold fridge. I couldn't get it to work. When I hooked up the 12V battery, the igniter started clicking, but I couldn't see any spark. Nor did it light with a match after hooking up a propane tank. The spark didn't show any sign of stopping. My understanding was that it should stop trying to ignite after a minute. It didn't seem to stop at all, even with the mode switch set to OFF or ELECTRIC.

I need to play with it some more, take it apart and clean it, and see what's going on...
Ignition Module controls the High Voltage Spark AND DC to Gas Valve

Continuous sparking and NO gas flow.....ignition module gas circuit faulty

Also there is that pesky RECALL for faulty gas valves..
Old 02-03-2021, 01:15 AM   #21

Sidelined Norcokd Project

So this project got sidelined for a while. I got the AC function cleaned & fixed, but couldn’t do much with the propane. It won’t light with a match, and the ignition keeps clicking.

I’m not sure which way to go after this? I suppose it’s the propane control module. But I don’t where to get a replacement, or whether I can disassemble and clean & fix it.

Tags
fridge, norcold