Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Trying to replace some running lights

I have an 89 Ultra by Gulfstream....Trying to replace some of the running lights, as they are very brittle and one fell apart when I attempted to change a lense... I couldn't find a new one that looked exactly like the original...and asked several folks at my local rv outlet....Original wires are looped through a small opening and a metal tab "bites" into both wires. New one has four small holes and looks like the cut wire ends are poked through these holes and the metal tab holds them in place.... I can't seem to get this configuration to work....Keep blowing fuses... What could I be doing wrong? I've never done this type of thing before, but didn't look like it would be all that difficult......I admit defeat....Can anyone offer some suggestions....aside from...take it to a shop....that will have to be my last resort....I'm a very stubborn lady....Thanks in advance
fireflymin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

Post some pics if possible.
rv.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pictures would help, but....
These are just your running lights, right?
Each should only have two wires, and they can't both be connected at the same point on the light.
One wire is hot, and one is ground.
Ground is usually white, but yours could be different...
If you're blowing fuses, it seems likely that you're hooking the wires up either at the same (hot) point or backwards.

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm going to try to get some pics.....hopefully will have them on in a little bit...Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Pictures of my old marker lights and replacement...

Here is the old marker light...notice how both the brownish(hot) and white with black(ground) are kind of looped.....Then the replacement one has 4 holes to poke the wires through to the metal tabs..... Hope this will give you an idea of what I am talking about....Thanks again Sorry, I thought the pics were clearer than they are here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	13605   Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	13606  

Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

Ok the old light you had is pretty much made for a fiberglass coach, the ground wire had to go through the little tabs with teeth, the new light you have only takes the power wire into the little tabs and the ground goes to the screw hole to the rear of the bulb, not to the tabs with teeth. You can do this a couple of different ways, 1. drill hole through base add ring terminal to wire and connect with screw (reccomended) 2. put a ring terminal on the ground wire and attach behind the light through the screw hole with the metal tab, 3. the other option would be to get the other style ligh that holds both wires with the metal tabs.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm not sure if this is what RVguru means, but...
From hard experience I know that on a fiberglass body, if that's what you have, ground must be connected to the vehicle ground system.

Francesca
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Re:replacing running lights....

Yup, it is a fiberglass body.....And thank you all for your input thus far....I'm beginning to get a handle on this....Plus, I stopped by my favorite RV supply, and they , amazingly had some of the same type that I wanted to replace.....They did not have them about a month ago! Yeah! I think I'm a happy camper!!!!! Now to find the time to replace all of those lights at the same time. Gonna try to do at least the one that has been giving me a fit tomorrow afternoon....I'll let you all know how the task went.....Please keep your fingers crossed!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

They are all crossed, good luck and happy camping.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
You go, girl!

A little thing like electricity can not interfere with our Camping Fun, right?

Francesca
Old 09-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #11

Dont worry 12 volt doesnt hurt and 110 volts only makes you wiggle a little bit!!!!! Roflmao
Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yeah! Another success!!!! I managed to get one new marker light completely installed...and it works! Now I'm gonna go around all of my marker lights with some caulk and seal um up good!

Tags
lights, replace