Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Two 15,000 BTU ACs vs two 13,500 BTU ACs...

Hi, Everyone -

I'm trying to understand more on air conditioning units. Specifically, my question is this ---

Do two 15,000 BTU ACs in a motorhome do a better job at cooling than two 13,500 units do? In other words, would you be able to "feel" the difference?

I ideally wanted my next (diesel) rig to have three ACs. However, in a lot of 40' rigs that I see, there are only two 15,000s offered and no option for a third unit.

Are two 15,000s enough if you're in very hot/humid weather? (I understand other things I can do to help - i.e., sunshades, get AC running early to keep up, etc), but I keep coming back to asking myself if 2 15,000 really, truly ARE enough.

Thanks!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

We have two 15K units in a 40' Country Coach. This was an option that the 1st owner had added when he ordered the coach.

It's a bit over 11% more cooling than the standard 13.5K units, and I feel for sure we've been in temps where I was glad to have had the extra cooling capacity.

You mentioned some of the factors as far a say window coverings, windshield screens (exterior better then interior), etc. But I feel that with so many coaches using darker paints, that even with good insulation values in walls and roofs, two 13.5K units are quite often being asked to do too much.

If you are ordering a coach, especially with darker paint schemes, and you can not 'sweet talk' them into adding a third AC unit - then for sure go with the two 15K - every little bit helps!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

When we were looking at replacements for broken unit we noticed some have very close to same loading for both.

So the larger one may cost same as smaller one to operate.

It is not so much larger that cycle times would be too short like installing too large on s&b but large enough to get the job done a little faster.

If at all possible go with the larger ones but check reviews of product first to be sure good units.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:21 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Thank you!

It seems like I'd ideally want three units, I think. I agree about 2 13.5s being challenged during extreme weather.

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Have 2 15k units on my 2003 Dutch Star, and they kept temp inside at 76deg while in AZ with outside temp at 104. They never shut off tho. Neighbor had 13.5's in his (same park/temp/time), and his RV never got below 80. 4 degrees isn't much but sure felt like it.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To answer the OPs question directly...YES.

Whether or not 2 units is "enough" depends on quality of coach insulation, temperatures, humidity, coach orientation to sun, use of awnings/shade and people/activities inside the coach.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote