RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Its the weekend - he's probably gone until Monday.

But if he checks, simply disconnect (isolate) the bad battery and run off good one. But that assumes OP is comfortable making changes to battery connections, between batteries and main feed and ground to coach.

Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:12 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The batteries seem to even out before we left for the weekend. One of them is still running hot but the other one is a lot cooler.

Made it through the weekend without a battery incident. Different incident but that's another story of not to do. Thanks for the warnings of concern.

Going to get new batteries now that we are back. Just a matter of which ones. Can't really justify the AGM since we will be using it on weekends and one or two weeks a year.

Doesn't look like a 8D group size comes in a deep cycle other than AGM so will need to figure out what will fit in the space I have.

Suggestions welcome

Thanks
Old 03-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Show us your "space" and the suggestions will come.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
As the Dr said,
we are good at spending OUR money, how much easier do you think it is for us to spend yours

I went from 4 L-16 monsters to 4 T-105's and think I have better battery setup than I did and certainly less weight !!!
of course the L-16's were circa 2010 or earlier and hadn't been cared for properly
Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Here are the pictures of the current setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160321_190137 (Mobile).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	122022   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160321_190145 (Mobile).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	122023  

Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I just ran into this a couple of weeks ago http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/one-c...ot-277128.html , the "Hot" one is internally shorted out, unhook it, and remove ASAP. I replaced all of mine with new, as they were from 2009!
On our '02 DSDP we got 10 years out of the OEM Interstate U-2200 batteries and over 8 out of the starting batteries. Could have gone longer with the starting batteries too as it actually was a starter going bad causing my problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbyjig View Post
Doesn't look like a 8D group size comes in a deep cycle other than AGM so will need to figure out what will fit in the space I have.
Yes, they do make deep cycle wet cell 8D's or at least Interstate does list them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Great to hear!

I can't fine them on their site

I'd appreciate the link

Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have straighten out the photos so there won't be a run on chiropractors.

I assume that the upper shelf is just a perimeter frame that is open to the bottom so the lower batteries can be accessed. If that is true, then you have plenty of room to install 4 - 6 VDC HD Golf Cart Batteries hooked up in series/parallel which is a better choice for house batteries plus they are easier to handle when you need to work on them. You would need to purchase some heavy gauge cables to wire in the extra batteries.

The article that was posted earlier in this thread (I assume that you have read the information) states that 6 volt batteries wired series/parallel in general will offer more usable AH's than the larger 12 VDC versions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Images

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #24

Before I replaced the batteries, in the pictures, I would pull the posts off, clean up all of the corrosion and test them. They are a disaster.

One may be warm because it is low on water but charging and the other is making no connection.

Step one would be a blast from a garden hose and then take all of the pieces apart and soak each in hot water with a bit of baking soda.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Dr4Film

Thanks for turning the pictures. I was surprised when I saw them posted but didn't know how to correct them in this app.

I have read the article a couple of times. Making more sense every time I read it. And I think I have my decision.

twinboat

They are a mess aren't they. Thought the same thing when I bought the coach. From the receipts, it appears that they were serviced and cleaned up about a year ago. Not sure I'm impressed with that work. It also shows that these batteries were installed 4/12. So it appears that they are at the end of their life.

I am going to go with 4 - 6v deep cycle golf cart batteries

Thanks all
Old 03-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #26

Anytime more than one like things are connected together they all should be same.

So yes something is amiss.

Heat is generated by current flow so first GUESS is the warm one has shorted cell si drawing more current and other one is not due to low resulting charge voltage.

These do not look like slide trays so difficult to look to observe bubbles but one would likely see one cell doing less.

Remove both batteries and let stand on the ground overnight and check voltages.
The hot one will likely be lower than the warm one.

If you can check SG of all that can show if one is different from rest.

You have 12 cells total and all should read close but yours will likely have one that stands out different.

Your stacked batteries may not be as built from factory so wait to replace and determine if better to restore to factory or use different battery type as yours does not look like it is servicable without work.

And yes this is not safe as they can explode with different levels of intensity so if you can reach in and loosen the caps do that to avoid excess gas pressure and leave door open and unit unplugged for several hours or overnight to avoid sparking any gas that may be present.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 PM   #27

4/12 is not that old for deep cycle 8D's. (If they're deep cycle!).

I'd follow Twinboats input. Get the batteries out, clean the posts and the connectors well.

Getting a good charge on the batteries, then letting them sit and testing them once they're full rested, will tell you if they're really shot or not. Even if you have one that has different results then the other, a de-sulfation cycle might bring them both back to the same level.

Why replace until you know it's needed?

For your stated usage, going with 4 GC Sams or Costco 6V would be the least expensive way to get you some coach batteries, without having to spend a bundle.

And, of course, proper maintenance is needed going forward.

Best of luck to you. And sure hope you get how dangerous it is to be running with a battery that is running hot. Not preaching, just repeating that if it is an internal breakdown of the battery - it is a fire waiting to ignite. Until you know for sure, do not charge the batteries.

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Smitty & Tony

Going to Les Schwab this morning for two new tires.

I'll have them test the existing batteries and see if I need new batteries too.

Tags
batteries