RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Two Batteries vs Four Batteries

I have two Interstate house batteries in my coach currently.

They are 8D-XHD's. 12 volt, 1155 cca and massive. Wired in parallel.

When I have the coach plug into 110 volts, one is boiling and hot, the other is cold. Talking to the Interstate people they indicate that either or both could be bad. But if I replace one, I should replace both.

Should I replace them with the same size batteries or should I go with 4 - 6 volts? I assume stay with the parallel configuration.

I'm still in a steep learning curve with this stuff, so any response will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wrong batteries for house batteries if they have a CCA. CCA is cold cranking amps and are a starting battery.
You need deep cycle or AGM's for your house batteries.
We have 4 8D batteries and I was thinking of going with 8 GC-2 6 volt wet cells when I replace them again. The rig came with 4 8D AGM's and they are $500 each and we don't boondock enough to need the AGM's. Would have to some rewiring and get more cables made to use the 8 6V wet cells.
You also need to check and see if your charger is set for wet cell like you have or AGM's, the charging profile is different, using the wrong one can shorten the batteries life.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Four sixes would be series parallel
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #4

I am assuming we are talking about house batteries and not chassis batteries. If these are chassis batteries then ignore everything below this line___________

All AGM batteries are not deep cycle. The only real difference between AGM and wet cell batteries is that AGMs are maintenance free and can be put in a non vented space. Both wet cell and AGM come in starting and deep cell configurations. Some say AGMs last longer but I haven seen any test results.
You want to make sure what ever battery you get is deep cycle which are always measured in amp-hour. Typically around 210 amp-hr plus or minus.
For house batteries you want the most amp-hours you can fit in the space available for a reasonable amount of money. This is typically six volt deep cycle batteries. If two batteries then wired in series. If four or more the wired series/parallel.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

Sounds like my scenario when one of my Lifelines shorted (plate failure inside). One was good and one was bad. I figured this out by disconnecting both and measuring voltage across +'ve and -'ve posts; the shorted battery dropped to 8V within 15 minutes after charging. The good battery stayed at 12.6- 12.8V. It is not good practice to add a new battery in any configuration with an older battery - the new battery will perform only as good as the older battery. All batteries should be of the same age if they are connected together.

The interstate 8D-XHD are a cost effective battery, more suited for a starting battery IMHO. The interstate AGM-8D is more suitable for a house battery (Absorbed Glass Mat, AGM). Here is a link to both.

The Lifeline 8Ds (GPL-8DL) are a top line 12V battery, and Discover Energy 8Ds AGM (EV8DA-A) are equivalents. Usually, true deep cycle batteries are heavier (more lead) and provide better performance. I replaced my Lifelines with Discover Energy batteries (12V).

Your interstate are about 123lbs each, the Lifelines are 156lbs, and the Discover Energy are 172lbs. Not directly related to performance, but an indication.

I kept my 12V, 2 8D battery configuration (2 in parallel) so as to not have to change wiring. My battery cables are 2/0 AWG, and changing them up to 4-6V in series/parallel would have been more work and cost to add additional 2/0 cables and connectors. Plus the spaces/cable runs/connectors in my battery compartment were designed for 2 8Ds.

My 2-8Ds provide 560Ah, 4-6V that I installed in my last 5ver provided 520Ah (same manufacturer, AGMs).

Hope this helps,
Brian
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Read "The 12 volt Side of Life".

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

The above link does a very good job explaining batteries.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone!

So much to learn

I'll check out the links later today.

Packing the MH to take out on the maiden voyage today.

Just for the weekend. Figure we can't get into too much trouble
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Whereas I have 4 6-volt batteries and the local coach shop is advising converting to 2 8D or (in my case) 2 4D (sizing). Less connections is their philosophy. Pricing is about the same, slightly more AH rating in the 4D and much more if I could just squeeze the 8D's in there.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbyjig View Post
Thanks everyone!

So much to learn

I'll check out the links later today.

Packing the MH to take out on the maiden voyage today.

Just for the weekend. Figure we can't get into too much trouble
If you still have the condition as stated in your first post, I for sure wouldn't take the coach anywhere.

You should rectify the problem ASAP
Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Read "The 12 volt Side of Life".

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Every RVer should read this as it describes the 12V RV systems and batteries in in terms we all can understand.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The 12 Volt Side of Life Part 2 is also very valuable to read and bookmark.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #13

Dubbyjig,

I hope you heed the advice posted by dons2346. When you have a battery issue as described, it's also very dangerous the operate under those conditions.

Bad batteries do catch fire, and sometimes explode. This would be a terrible way to end a trip.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbyjig View Post
I have two Interstate house batteries in my coach currently.

They are 8D-XHD's. 12 volt, 1155 cca and massive. Wired in parallel.

When I have the coach plug into 110 volts, one is boiling and hot, the other is cold. Talking to the Interstate people they indicate that either or both could be bad. But if I replace one, I should replace both.

Should I replace them with the same size batteries or should I go with 4 - 6 volts? I assume stay with the parallel configuration.

I'm still in a steep learning curve with this stuff, so any response will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
I just ran into this a couple of weeks ago http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/one-c...ot-277128.html , the "Hot" one is internally shorted out, unhook it, and remove ASAP. I replaced all of mine with new, as they were from 2009!

Tags
batteries