Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Unusual Hydro Hot problem, and the fix

After reading a few Hydro Hot, Aqua Hot problems, I thought I would open a thread with my unusual problem.

Zone 1 on my Hydro Hot was blowing cold air only from the start. The dealer agreed they were responsible to fix it (thank you for that!). First they replaced the circulation pump at my site. Still bad. I then took the coach to the dealer in Buffalo, NY. They replaced the one way valve (I had purchased a new valve). They T/S the problem and said the heat exchanger under the fridge was plugged, and subsequently bypassed it. This allowed the front heat exchanger (in dash) to kind of work. It subsequently quit so my system was again blowing cold air.

The dealer began searching for a replacement heat exchanger. What they ultimately sent me (about 6 months later) was different, so I took the heat exchanger from under the bed and put it under the fridge (Did I mention zone 3 was working well) and installed the new heat exchanger under the bed. It never would have fit under the fridge. I then moved the bypass hose to the front heat exchanger. Still blowing cold air, darn (I wanted to say something stronger here, but decided not to). I talked to the dealer and they agreed to allow me to take the coach to a dealer in Florida (we moved here in Nov.) At Alliance Coach they found the front heat exchanger was VERY plugged as well and finally got the plug freed. The whole system was air locked. After pushing clear water through the entire system, then draining the boiler, twice, the system was working properly (Joy in our RV!). They had to flush ALL the old fluid out of the entire system. They then completely filled the system with new boiler anti-freeze and we are now enjoying a Hydro Hot system that is fully functional.

Ultimately they state the fluid was so old (we bought the coach last March) that it was crystalizing in the system and plugging the heat exchangers. When the dealer did the T/S in Buffalo they had allowed air in the system which just made the problem worse. I guess the bottom line is the first dealer should have taken the steps to flush the system totally and replace the fluid once they found the plugs instead of sending me on my way with a non-functioning system as they ultimately will be paying far more for Alliance Coach to fix the problem properly. Yes, I know I should have been more insistent right off the bat, but I thought the "experts" at the first dealer had a good idea what the problem really was. I learned my lesson here!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!