Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Using an Inverter

I recently bought a Xantrex 1500 W MSW Inverter. It was clearance price and I couldnt resist. My question is after I get it properly connected to the batteries, how should I use it? It has two duplex GFCI outlets and a remote on off switch (wired). To connect to outlets in the coach for TV and appliances should I run an extension cord from the inverter to the shore cable or should I install seperate outlets connected to the inverter. I know the inverter power is limited because I only have 2 12volt house batteries and no solar (yet). I am thinking of buying an 800 watt generator from Harbor Freight just to charge batteries for the inverter. I am thinking it would use less gas to charge the batteries than the 5K Onan on board generator. Is 800 watts of generator the same as 800 watts of Solar? if so then the $88.00 generator seems to be a good alternative for now.
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would not connect the inverter to shore power line. The easiest way I think would be to run a separate line and socket for the tv to plug into.
Did you have an inverter previously wired in?
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #3

I would recommend a seperate cicuit also. If you have it wired into a line that gets hot with shore power, you can forget to isolate it and that will let all the magic smoke out of it. Do not ask me how I know this.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flanagan. Lots of things to think about. Your inverter doesn't seem to have a charger, so replacing your converter isn't an option here, normally that would be my first choice. It isn't a hard wired model, so running extension cords is the only option. I don't believe you can or should run two power sources in to one outlet, so that isn't an option. Sounds like running the cord to the tv is the answer, though it may not be convenient. As for the gen set, if you only have a converter, your charge options are limited, I would say run your Onan, it needs the exercise and put the generator bucks towards a multistage charger converter. Just my thoughts, there will be a lot of them out here. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanyou all for your responses. No my rig did not come with the optional inverter. This will be a fresh installation. I am hoping to utilize the inverter for more than just the television. I want to have access to the power in the kitchen area for DW's gadgets and the dinnette in the slide out for using a laptop with an inkjet printer. If I install dedicated inverter access outlets how do I run the wires to them? If I were to run an extension cord through the storage bins to the utilities bin and plugged the shore cord in to it there wouldnt that be like a manual transfer switch? I can only plug the shore cord into one outlet at a time right? I would also unplug the converter to prevent draining, and keep the fridge and HW heater on propane.
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

Depends on the inverter--most of the larger ones [1500-2000] watts have an invert mode and a by pass mode. Idea is to feed the inverter with shore power thru your existing electric panel and then come back to the panel and wire one or two circuits via the inverter. This way everything works on shore power and you have a couple circuits that are either/or [powered by inverted on bats or by shorepower while on by-pass].

As for watts--solar is measured in DC watts so 100 watts of solar is roughly 10 watts AC which in turn is about 1 amp AC--not very much. An 800 watt generator is very small--rated in DC watts [I think] so that's 80 watts AC or about 8 amps AC. Accordingly, about the smallest Honda generator you see is 1000 watts or 10 amps AC--again not much power [maybe the tv and the frig but nothing else, ie, cant charge the bats too] ...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Halfwright- that is too funny
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter