RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Vacu flush toilet issue

I have a 2017 Bounder 33C. It has a vacu flush toilet system which I recently spent almost $1,800.00 to repair after just three years use. Has anyone tried to convert this system to a regular toilet system?
JohnTRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #2

Not really a replacement option due to the position of the black tank.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

Vacu flush toilet

Thanks, guess I have to live with making a bad choice in which toilet for my coach.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTRich View Post
I have a 2017 Bounder 33C. It has a vacu flush toilet system which I recently spent almost $1,800.00 to repair after just three years use. Has anyone tried to convert this system to a regular toilet system?
WOW! $1,800 to repair. I also have one in our rear bath and, knock on wood, haven't had any issues with it so far. What kind of problems did you have that required such high repair costs?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
We have an '02 year model Magnum-Opus vacuum system

I do service it every 2 years..not that difficult.
The only frustrating event was finding a vacuum leak...

After isolating each segment of the system found that the "cross-over tube" from toilet [drivers side]to the vacuum pump [passenger side]had developed a crack..
Replaced the pipe and all is good..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #6

Curious about your Vacuflush problem.

The amount you were charged would indicate the vacuum pump assembly was replaced.

I've had Vacuflush systems in my last two boats , a period of 15 years . During that time I replaced the duckbills once in each boat and never replaced the ball valve seals in either boat .

I found them to be extremely reliable and perform well. For general maintenance I use Thetford Head Lube monthly .

Family and friends are told " nothing goes in the toilets that hasn't been eaten and passed through normal body functions " . We also encourage a second flush when dropping a number 2 to clear the pump and lines.
Family and friends are also warned that " who ever plugs it , fixes it".

You know , the normal stuff when orienting newbie's .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #7

It started running on it's on and developed a leak. I was in a location and in circumstances where I didn't have much choice in who I used for repairs. The people I used had never worked on this type of system before which may be why they replaced the assembly. I had been flushing the system with soap and water but will try the Thetford lube.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
https://marinesan.com/

Quote:
Pump Cycling Periodically - If your Vacuum Pump is turning on periodically, it means vacuum is being released from the system. Your Vacuum Switch will read the loss of vacuum and turn your pump on to get the system back to the correct level of vacuum. The following suggestions are common causes...
  • Duckbills in the vacuum pump are what hold the vacuum on that end of the system. Once they have worn out they are not capable of holding the vacuum. Replacement is needed. They have about a 3-5 year lifespan, depending on use.
  • Water draining from the bowl will cause the system to lose vacuum. This means the Bowl Seal is worn out and is incapable of holding the seal to keep water in the bowl - in turn air is also being pulled through the bowl into the lines causing a loss of vacuum. Replacement is needed. The seal has about a 3-5 year life span depending on use.
  • If the Bellows inside your vacuum pump is cracked, waste will spew out of that crack and be a very obvious diagnosis (waste/water spewing out of the pump). The crack in the Bellows will also introduce air into the system, creating a vacuum leak. Replacement is needed. When replacing the Bellows, it is suggested to replace the o-rings as well. Lifespan varies 5-30 years.

Flushing Mechanism Failure -
  • Pedal not snapping back into place: The Ball, Shaft & Spring Cartridge work together to rotate the ball into the open position when stepping on the pedal. If the spring cartridge is worn out or the shaft has hyper-extended out of the cartridge, it will not snap the pedal into place with enough force to create a seal against the Bowl Seal. Replacement is needed.
  • Leaking water from the pedal: If you did not winterize the system and the Water Valve froze, it will crack and create a leak. Replacement is needed.
Dig around their site.

Coat hose connections with shaving cream. If there is a leak it will draw it in.

Rebuilding the system isn't tough just a tad messy, several flushes with dish soap helps. Bowel seal, ball valve, flush valve, bellows kit and duckbills and your good to go. Getting the pump free from hoses and re-centering the throne on the seals for me was the hard part.

They have good phone help if you need it, pay a little extra and use their help if you need it.

Tags
toilet