RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #1

Vacuum Toilet Won't Flush!

Hey there, I have been out of the country and away from the RV world for a while and am now happy to say we recently purchased a 35B Fleetwood Excursion. We are so happy to be back in the saddle again!

Unfortunately I have a problem with my vacuum toilet

When the toilet pedal is pressed nothing happens. The bowl is full of water but it just stays in there when the pedal is pushed. There are no sounds like the pump is trying to work. The indicator light is green which is also puzzling.

The manual says to check for blockage. The line in the toilet is clear down to the bottom but I do not know where the system is located under the floor so I can't check any more than that.

Since I can't hear anything it felt like a fuse but everything looked good there, plus the green light is on. This is the first time I've had a vacuum toilet so it's another thing I need to learn!

Appreciate any help out there!
Hazardman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clog

I have had this issue with our vacuflush system and it was a blockage. The solution was to snake out the line from the rear toilet. Turn off the water to the rig; hold the pedal down and run the snake into the system until you dislodge the blockage. Once you hear the pump running; turn off the system; remove the snake; turn on water and turn pump back on. Fill bowl and flush several times to clean out system. Also follow the manufacturer's recommendation and use a organic detergent once each week to keep anything from building up in the system. The pump on my 35K is located behind an access panel in the rear-most cmpartment and is not easy to get to. Good luck and let us know if this works for you.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the light is green the pump has vacuum. You likely have a clog.

First place to check is at the throat right below the ball.

Turn off water, leave pump on. Use a long stick or similar and probe. If no luck go to plan B.

Leave water off, pump on. Grab a plunger, oven the valve and insert plunger and try to get a good seal. One stroke down then break suction with fingers, long screwdriver, etc. Repeat as needed. With luck...

Some say you can plunge away, but IMO you stand a chance to mess up the duckbill valves.

NEVER any female sanitary products in the toilet. Large deposits, I use a two flush system. Deposit, flush, paperwork, flush. Use plenty of water.

I never have tried a snake, but no reason that it shouldn't work unless the clog is at duckbill valves, and it would be a moonshot to get it through the accumulator tank.

If you don't have a manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0y3QQbeLWqFGRg

https://marinesan.com/ also has great service and advice.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just looked at your profile. Hi neighbor! I'm in Beaverton.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #5

SUCCESS!! It was the snake that did it. I had tried the plunger and brush that I don't think was long enough. I snaked it for only a couple minutes then one stroke with plunger and BOOM down it went!

Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions and advice.
Hazardman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Not uncommon for a vacuflush that's sitting idle. Any buildup dries out and can flake off, creating a blockage. Ditto on the snake. Just a small el-cheapo, an auger works best. If you plan to leave the system idle for any length of time, flush well with plenty of water before hand. Fill the bowl with water a couple times is better than just mashing the pedal down and holding it. A bit of vegetable oil mixed in with the last flush will help to keep things from drying out as bad. NO petroleum products (like Vaseline) ever, they will damage the rubber parts and create a breakdown/repair!
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #7

Just following along, trying to figure out what a vacuum toilet is.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #8

Vacuum flush – bowl contents are powerfully pulled from the toilet bowl through a stored vacuum vessel and macerating vacuum pump, and then pumped to a large holding tank. Like macerating toilets, this flushing technology also allows the toilet and waste holding tank to be positioned apart from each other. This allows a vacuum toilet to be located virtually anywhere in a motorhome.

Tags
toilet, vacuum