RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Vegetables and Fruits - Life extension for our Veggies

So I'm into healthy living. The DW makes sure I eat my veggies. Well, actually, I juice my veggies. In addition, I try to buy only organic. The problem is that when we juice, we can go through a lot of vegetables very quickly.

I'm wondering if there are techniques that will help us to keep the spinach, strawberries, broccoli, etc, from going bad as quickly as they do in the refrigerator. There must be a way of extending their lifetime so we don't have to keep driving to the store all the time.

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Juice the veggies then freeze the juice.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spinach, kale, swiss chard and the like can be kept in a jar of water....like flowers.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
laj

throw the juicer as far away as you can and get a vita mix. more nutrients, all the fibre, and you will get it all while using about a third the produce. jmo.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #5

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
throw the juicer as far away as you can and get a vita mix. more nutrients, all the fibre, and you will get it all while using about a third the produce. jmo.
I actually have a NutriBullet 900 Watt. So it is not strictly a juicer. Yes, it keeps everything, the fiber and juice. I love this machine. I even juice cantaloupes and pineapples with skin and all. Supposedly, the best vitamins are in the skin. But, that's why I buy organic.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Spinach, kale, swiss chard and the like can be kept in a jar of water....like flowers.
So a jar with the vegetables submerged in water? How long do you think the veggies will stay fresh that way?

As you know, strawberries go bad relatively quickly ...

HuntingHawk recommends juicing and freezing. Not sure how much nutrition you lose once you juice and freeze. The good enzymes may get damaged that way, not sure.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post

I actually have a NutriBullet 900 Watt. So it is not strictly a juicer. Yes, it keeps everything, the fiber and juice. I love this machine. I even juice cantaloupes and pineapples with skin and all. Supposedly, the best vitamins are in the skin. But, that's why I buy organic.
i agree, you cant buy juice like that, the smoothies are great. nothing healthier.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
So a jar with the vegetables submerged in water? How long do you think the veggies will stay fresh that way?...
Do not submerge the leaves. Just stand the stems in a wide-mouth Mason jar or other suitable container with an inch or so of water in the bottom. We do it all the time with asparagus and with bunches of fresh parsley and cilantro. Change the water every day or two and discard any stems where the leaves have begun to yellow or worse yet, begun to turn brown. Veggies will keep a couple of weeks. The method will work with other things like kale and Swiss chard with relatively long stems. Covering the leaves with a loose-fitting plastic bag also helps. It won't work with lettuce or spinach because the stems are too short. If leaves touch the water for long, they will begin to rot.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We normally figure out what juices we want to make and get about a weeks worth from the store. Yes we have a residential fridge to keep more fruits and veggies. Spinach and stuff stays longer than a week but since we only buy about a weeks worth at a time we have not had any problems yet. We do juicing for breakfast so that's at least 7 days of stuff at a time in there.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

Fresh veggies require a humid cool area for storage. Remember seeing veggies in the supermarket? They are cooled and sprayed with a water mist every few minutes to keep them fresh and crisp. That's hard to manage in a refrigerator, even though they have a "crisper" drawer, because cold air removes humidity from air and there is no practical way to introduce moisture into one.
I lean towards the "juice the veggies ASAP and store the juice" suggestion in the RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #11

We buy fresh every 2 or 3 days. And we eat fresh, be it raw, steamed, what ev.

Juicing is not our flavor or style. Chewing the stuff and tasting it fresh works for us.

Whatever works for ya!

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
For your broccoli and some other things, have you considered fermenting? I culture (ferment) things like shredded broccoli stems in salt water and keifer whey to make a crunchy kraut that keeps in the fridge for a long time as well as make a great salsa that way. For strawberries, I would make a kombucha brew and use up strawberries in the second ferment for flavor and lots of fizz. Freezing does make them deteriorate a bit... but it beats tossing moldy ones you didn't get to on time....for mushrooms you don't get to, let them dry out and blend them into a powder to add to spaghetti.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I forgot to add... when you put kale, cilantro, parsley, chard, long stemmed spinach, and such... trim the stem first before putting into a glass, jar, or vase as when it sits waiting at the store...it seals it's stem end and you want that end to be open to uptake or water to keep it from wilting. Some people put a little peroxide (drop or 2) in the water to keep the bacteria down that would cause it to slime quicker.
Your other option for using up stuff that is starting to wilt is go ahead and dehydrate it... at home, I dehydrate kale, chard, & beet leaves to crumble or make into a powder to add to soups in winter.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWI just because your buying something labeled organic does not mean you are getting a product that is healthier for you. As a produce farmer i can tell you that the organic industry is some of the least regulated in the business. Some of the products they use and spray are not regulated like they are in the conventional farming practices. So buy your veggies, wash them thoroughly and enjoy. Quit worrying about the organic label so much, unless you actually know the farmer or watched it through the whole growing process.
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote