Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #1

Velvac mirror control failure

I have an odd problem. Velvac driver side mirror doesn't adjust properly ... passenger side works correctly. If I toggle left ... it goes left. If I toggle right ... it goes left. If I toggle up .... it goes up. If I toggle down ... it goes up. Replaced switch ... didn't fix it. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I found this manual.

http://www.velvac.com/pdf/7138002.11.pdf
The print is too small to read on my iPhone . Hopefully it helps you solve the switching issue.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I found this manual.

http://www.velvac.com/pdf/7138002.11.pdf
The print is too small to read on my iPhone . Hopefully it helps you solve the switching issue.
Thanks Cliff! I do have the manual but, without pulling the head, I'm not sure what's going on. I'm assuming there are 2 motors (U/D and L/R) that are polarity sensitive ... but that's an assumption. I'm having a problem visualizing a wiring problem that would allow 1 mirror to work and the other to partially work (not dead ... just works in 2 directions instead of 4). Heavy sigh ....
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Community Administrator

If no resolve by Monday , they ( Velvac ) have / had a customer service tech available by phone ( about 10 years ago )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
If no resolve by Monday , they ( Velvac ) have / had a customer service tech available by phone ( about 10 years ago )

Thanks ... I'll give them a try. Had the problem for awhile but I'm the only driver so it was way down on the list. Fortunately my long arms are still working for minor tweeks.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try checking the plug that is just inside the wall or sometimes in the arm of the mirror. These are quick plugs to aid in installation and sometimes corrode are come loose.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Try checking the plug that is just inside the wall or sometimes in the arm of the mirror. These are quick plugs to aid in installation and sometimes corrode are come loose.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Had a similar problem with my drivers side mirror, It would go up and to the right only. I cleaned the ground very good and that solved my problem, It is working proerly since then.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
Had a similar problem with my drivers side mirror, It would go up and to the right only. I cleaned the ground very good and that solved my problem, It is working proerly since then.

Where? which ground connection? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Where? which ground connection? Thanks.

This is what happened to ours, We had some work done on the coach, the technician moved the mirror in at the arm base. After he did that I had trouble with the center mirror moving up & out only, the left red arrow blinking was not working too. I did not check if it was working before we left. So I started with the ground white wires, (under front driver side generator area) but at the same time I readjusted the angle of my mirrors & cleaned the mirror head and arm mounts. I did not check if it worked before I did all that. There was some corrosion at both the head and the arm mount. After all this the mirror & turn arrow worked fine. I have not had any trouble with them since. Do not know for sure if it was the wire or cleaning the mirror mounts that fixed it.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
This is what happened to ours, We had some work done on the coach, the technician moved the mirror in at the arm base. After he did that I had trouble with the center mirror moving up & out only, the left red arrow blinking was not working too. I did not check if it was working before we left. So I started with the ground white wires, (under front driver side generator area) but at the same time I readjusted the angle of my mirrors & cleaned the mirror head and arm mounts. I did not check if it worked before I did all that. There was some corrosion at both the head and the arm mount. After all this the mirror & turn arrow worked fine. I have not had any trouble with them since. Do not know for sure if it was the wire or cleaning the mirror mounts that fixed it.

Thanks! ... I'll have a look at all.