Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

Very old tired batteries

My marine deep cycle house batteries are old enough they don’t owe me anything. For their entire life, we’ve never dry camped and they’ve done what we asked, even to the end of camping 6 weeks ago.

Just since I’ve unplugged a week ago, and the weather has turned bitter cold, they have virtually no reading already.

The RV is winterized, and I’ll have the engine battery inside on a Battery Tender for next season.

I’ve turned off the house battery disconnect switch. All parasitic loads are removed. They’ll probably freeze over winter because of their condition.

Can I just leave them for the winter and replace them in the spring?
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

If they do freeze, they will likely burst the plastic cases and spill sulfuric acid over your battery compartment. Best to remove them a store where it is heated until you trade them in, in the spring.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've got to go with the above. Remove and store where they won't freeze.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #4

Ok......and as long as I don’t use the RV powered circuitry for anything, and keep the battery disconnect switch off, it won’t matter if I have to move the motorhome between homes over the winter?

Just worried if there’s no batteries in the picture if it will damage anything?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

Ken,

unless you have a case I have never seen, having no house bank will cause no damage.

I too suggest that you get them out of there before they freeze. Particularly if you have those marine 12Vs strapped in parallel, because if only one is bad, it can cause one of them to explode. (I never got to figure out which one goes up.) But, if they freeze, you will have a real big mess on your hands.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #6

Turn off the battery charger function on your invertor/charger if you use shore power. Otherwise tape up the pos+ battery cables and any other wires that were hooked to pos+ so they can't short out to anything when driving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #7

Best case proposal is......

Remove the house batteries and store them where they won’t freeze.

I will photo all existing wiring as it is today.....everything worked perfectly plugged in to 50amp as recently as two weeks ago.

I will tape all bare ended wires to eliminate any shorts/sparks.

Turn off breaker to converter.

Deal with replacements in the spring.

Nothing in the “house part of the RV” will work, and motorhome should be good to drive between house locations as we prepare to move?

Tags
batteries