Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor

Pro, cons, comments of the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor?

This is the model with Blue Tooth built in - any experiences regarding range or connectivity?

Thanks!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

I can comment a bit.
I installed this unit and left the 'head' in the battery compartment.
so for all purposes it's blue tooth only ( I still can open the compartment door and see the unit ).

Range is subjective to the device. I have a samsung tablet that receives the signal anywhere in the RV. My samsung phone is not as good... have to be within 10 ft. or so of the compartment to get a signal.

It works well, one nagging issue I have to resolve is it doesn't seem to 'see' the solar charging. I'm sure it has to do with the way I connected it.
The unit still shows me voltage of the battery bank, which is what I was after.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks much for the feedback.

Not sure your expectation for monitoring the solar charching. I think the unit will show current in to the battery bank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Thanks much for the feedback.

Not sure your expectation for monitoring the solar charching. I think the unit will show current in to the battery bank.
Agreed. As long as the shunt is on the negative battery cable and there are no ground connections between the shunt and the battery, all current going in and out of the battery should be measured.

I just bought mine. Will be installing it soon along with a Victron MPPT charge controller also with built in Bluetooth.

Bought my 712 for $185.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love the BMV-712.

I already use the Victron Connect app for my SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-TR charge controller. The BMV-712 has about the same range.

I have a ME-BMK so I swapped out shunts and just added the orange/blue sense wires from the ME-BMK to the Victron Shunt. Both are working perfectly. I also use the BMV temperature sense accessory with our BMV-712.

If you have a VE.Smart network compatible charge controller ( It shows up in the Victron Connect App on the settings menu if you do) the BMV-712 can host a VE.Smart Network...and your SmartSolar or BlueSolar with dongle can join the network. With the temp probe connected...the SmartSolar charge controller will actively compensate charge voltages for temperature. A huge improvement over case temperature snapshot compensation.

If you have access to a Wifi connection or ethernet hub with internet in your coach...connecting a Venus GX to the BMV and MPPT will allow you to remotely monitor and control your system. The VRM portal is a free service from Victron and you can set alarms to notify you if a parameter drifts beyond the settings you choose. Look up Venus GX for a list of features and inputs it can communicate with.

I am sitting in a layover hotel in Brazil can see that my solar controller entered float around 10am this morning...on a rainy day...and check voltages, amps, gps location of the coach, temperatures, etc...
Old 05-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Screenshot of VRM widgets...one showing Battery...which is BMV-712 supplied information...the other of Solar...which is MPPT 150/100 supplied. If you subtract battery current from solar current you can tell what your static DC loads are consuming. Touching a graph will cause a pop up to appear with a date timestamps data po innit and the actual numerical values for the point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180511-205626_VRM.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	202530  
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ever wonder how often the compressor cycles on your residential fridge? Or how many amps it draws?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180510-065621_VRM.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	202531  
Old 05-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

I installed mine last weekend. My trailer is parked about 20 feet from the house and the BMV-712 is about 50 feet from my dinning room. I can reliably connect the app using my iPhone 8+.

My SmartSolar in my truck's camper shell is a little less strong. I have to be within about 30 feet of it.

I love the monitor. I fired up my air conditioner after installing the MicroAir EasyStart while on the inverter only. I was drawing about 115 amps DC from the air conditioner plus another 8 amps of other stuff. My batteries were holding steady at 12.7 volts.

I have a SensorPush bluetooth thermometer in my RV fridge. I can read it about 80 feet away though a few walls.
astrocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I love the BMV-712.
I hope you will indulge me in my first post at irv2 (I came here just for this topic). I just installed my BMV-712 yesterday, and all seems to be working fine except for a lack of any temperature reading. My understanding is that the 712 includes temperature reading.

The unit came with two identical (red) battery cables with in-line fuse, and the shunt has two female insert locations. I connected each of these to a positive post on the battery (battery has two posts). The battery monitor works great, but when I try to activate the temperature reading, no-can-do. I noticed that the temperature sensor that can be purchased separately looks slightly different than the two cables provided with my unit, but then my question would be - why provide me with two battery cables if one isn't a temperature sensor?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Yeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoh View Post
I hope you will indulge me in my first post at irv2 (I came here just for this topic). I just installed my BMV-712 yesterday, and all seems to be working fine except for a lack of any temperature reading. My understanding is that the 712 includes temperature reading.

The unit came with two identical (red) battery cables with in-line fuse, and the shunt has two female insert locations. I connected each of these to a positive post on the battery (battery has two posts). The battery monitor works great, but when I try to activate the temperature reading, no-can-do. I noticed that the temperature sensor that can be purchased separately looks slightly different than the two cables provided with my unit, but then my question would be - why provide me with two battery cables if one isn't a temperature sensor?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
You came to the right place...we are here to be indulged...

The BMV-712 has a second connection...which has three options for you to choose from.

The included second red/black pair is for the first two options....

1) Second battery monitoring (chassis start battery?)
2) Mid voltage reading on series battery setups.

These are selectable in the BMV-712 setup menu.

And the third requires purchasing an additional accessory cable/sensor.

3)Temperature monitoring.

This requires an accessory cable purchased separately. Use caution...they make two different temp cables...one for the BMV...and a different one for the Venus or some other devices. Get the one for the BMV.

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...00_p_2812.html

You can only do one of those three options at a time...
Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #11

Folks,

I have one of these on order as did not want to drill holes in floor to add a Trimetric.

Can an alarm be set on the app for below a certain voltage and as to when batteries are fully charged?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmh View Post
Folks,

I have one of these on order as did not want to drill holes in floor to add a Trimetric.

Can an alarm be set on the app for below a certain voltage and as to when batteries are fully charged?
The Victron Connect app (free download) has a DEMO mode for all their Bluetooth devices. I believe you can view all the setting that are user selectable.

To get multiple alarms...sent via email...you can (with internet connectivity) use the Venus GX to relay the data to the VRM (Victron Remote Management) portal. That portal can be configured to send you an email alert for many different parameters... The use of their portal is free...other than what you spend for internet access for your coach. If you already have a hotspot on your coach...it basically doesn’t cost you anything extra...
Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #13

Thanks,

I will check out the app.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #14

I meant to post back to this thread. I am very impressed with it.

Tags
battery