Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WARNING - Electric Slide Drive (Not Schwintek) - WARNING

So...we were doing some cleaning as we were prepping for the RV Body Service Guy to come (finally bit the bullet and had the vinyl decals removed ).

During the afternoon, the slide started acting up. It would open as usual, but would not close the last 3"

Look what I found in the bin where the rear slide drive channel rail is mounted...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	93755

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	93756

It appears that the bottom of the slide drive channel is open. The exterior use broom we keep in the pass through must have shifted in the bin and slipped "up" into the open slide drive channel. When we went to close the slide, the channel was blocked by the broom.

We tried closing the slide 3 times, thinking it was caused by low house battery power
Finally, the slide closed with a "SNAP" coming from under the floor

Lucky for us the broom was a cheapo and the handle gave-in before anything else was damaged

We never realized the risk...
So...WARNING...don't let anything get "UP" into the slide drive channel.

Safe Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for posting this warning, we will be very careful now.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #3

Yeah Steve, thanks for the valuable warning!

Anthony
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #4

I think the good thing about this occurrence is it demonstrates how robust that slide mechanism is! Mine got jammed up last year just like yours and wouldn't close the last few inches, it is a horrible feeling when you are out in the boonies. In my case I had let a large plastic garbage bad get ground up and entrenched in one of the gears. Once I cleaned out the plastic it was fine.

So if the slide doesn't close the first time, it would be a good idea to check the gears and drive channel mechanisms before re-attempting to close the slide.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And surely don't try 3 times before looking in the pass-throughs for obstructions.

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the heads up on this one
9999 more to go
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #7

I have a good idea Steve, lets get you to do more tests on your rig to see what stresses the components can withstand. Next, lets see how many times your automatic Kwikee steps can get slammed when you park too close to a high concrete curb before they fail.

This would be very helpful info. After I park, I find myself opening the door (but leaving the screen door closed) and trying to stick my head out the screen door slider panel to view the curb and trying to judge if the Kwikee step will strike the curb. This is a very difficult maneuver, so your info will be invaluable
Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I have a good idea Steve...Next, lets see how many times your automatic Kwikee steps can get slammed when you park too close to a high concrete curb before they fail.

Oh - Mr. AZ Funny Guy

I have tested this scenario repeatedly...with no failure to report - so far.

When too close to the curb, the Kwikee step on #1193 announces my mistake to the entire neighborhood with a "nails on the chalkboard" type of screech where the lowest metal step glides ever-so-gently along the top of the curb.

It stops when:
A. I close the door in embarrassment.
B. The motor-drive of the steps stall under the resistance from the curb.

I think "B" above is part of the "genius" at Kwikee (is that an Oxymoron?)...the drive motor controller electronics stop the motor, when the steps reach the end of their throw or hits something immovable

Your turn...how much weight can the roof withstand from a tree branch that is above the nose cap - but which is not high enough to clear the roof at the loft?
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Steve just wanted a reason NOT to have to sweep off the Patty O'Mat when it came time to pack up & go home after a weekend RV-ing.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #10

Oh, Steve's broom is still fully functional, he'll just need to bend over more when he sweeps.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
To quote Larry The Cable Guy: "Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!".

Lori-
Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Steve just wanted a reason NOT to have to sweep off the Patty O'Mat when it came time to pack up & go home after a weekend RV-ing.

Lori-
Shhhhsh! Don't tell the Mrs.
Everything outside the RV, including the Patty O'Mat is generally my responsibility.

If I am really nice, Mrs. Scarab might loan me the interior broom...wouldn't want to cut my self on the jagged remains of the outside broom

But, now thinking about it...that stubby broom might workout if I can transplant the end cap...Thanks Jeff!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
...If I am really nice, Mrs. Scarab might loan me the interior broom..

Oh no, no, NO. Interior brooms are for inside only, outside brooms are for exterior only. Never confuse the two.

Lori-
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Truer words have rarely been written

I don't know what I was thinking
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV