Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer combo unit

I recently purchased a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star and it has a washer dryer combo unit. On the unit it says to "remove outside drain cap before using." Can anyone tell me where that drain can be found?

Lou
LSepulveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #2

I have a Monaco and we have to open the gray drain so the tank does not overflow. Don't ask me how I know that :-)
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'd think the "outside drain cap" would be the cap on the end of your tanks drain pipe, located in your service bay. But having the cap off won't do you any good unless your gray tank valve is open & your drain hose is attached to the shore sewer hookup.

The washer does seem to use quite a bit of water that'll fill the gray tank quickly. Like Meandering Retiree, it's best to have the gray tank valve open - in our case, leaving it closed turned the shower into a bathtub.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We can get two loads into our 50 gallon Gray tank with no problem. We have done it several times to cut down on trips to the dump station at CG's where you can't dump gray water on the ground or a dry well that many in New England have.
I also found that if the drain vent is not to efficient, and you use the foam donut that is required in many states for sewer hookups, that it will take forever to drain.
We have over 400 loads on ours and wouldn't be with out it. Just small loads, but do them often. Shure beats the laundry's in many of the CG's. I'm sure that ours has paid for itself a long time ago.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The unvented version of the washer/dryer uses more water than the vented one. That's because it uses additional fresh water to cool the air circulating during the dry cycle, thus condensing the water out of the air so the clothes are dried. For this reason the unvented model often has a warning similar to what you see. If you do not have an external dryer vent to exhaust the hot air during drying, then you have the unvented model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lou,
If:
1. the W/D drains into the grey tank
2. you know the size of your grey tank
3. You know how full the tank is before you start the W/D

You should be able to manage a load or two of wash without dumping the grey tank. My grey tank valve remains closed unless I am emptying the tank. This means our W/D is operated with the drain cap on. Like roadwalt posted, we can also get two loads + of W/D before the tank needs to be emptied. My grey tank is 60 + gallons capacity.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Trace your drain line. If it goes to the 3" tube and not to a holding tank, then the cap they are referring to is the cap that you take of to connect your sewer line. Tracing the drain line from the washing machine would confirm whether you have to open a drain valve or just remove the cap. (Of course, run the sewer line before you wash.)

The first chance I get I am going to have mine re-plumbed into the drain pipe and not into the grey tank. I have no intentions of washing when I'm boondocking or driving down the highway, so I don't need it plumbed to a holding tank.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #8

Lou, when we got our 2007 Dutch Star there was an instruction that said the same thing. I tracked down the tech at the dealer because I was afraid to try out the washer until that was resolved. He allayed my fears as this is a standard instruction on the washer before installation. It refers to a cap that is on the washer. They have to remove it to connect it to the plumbing. In my opinion, the installer should really remove that instruction, or indicate that it was done, but that's the story.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are doing a load of laundry - presumably you are stopped and hooked up. This cap means you open the grey water valve to drain the laundry water. This will also help keep your drain hose clean. I try to do a washing after dumping the black tank if at all possible.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #10

Washer plumbing

We have a '99 Winnebago Adventurer with a washer dryer combo. Is the washer drain to the grey or black tank. Please no guesses or should be's. Last time my wife used the washer the black water tank overflowed. Maybe coincidence, but I can't understand why it would be connected to the black water tank. Is there an easy way to tell for sure as the plumbing and tanks are well hidden on this model.
Thanks,
B&J
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The washer is always connected to the grey water tank. You need to open the grey water valve when using the washer.The best way to tell is to run a cycle through the washer and open the grey tank valve. You should see/hear the water draining out. I have never heard of a washer going to the black tank. IF this is so - was your washer/dryer added after the unit was initially put on the road? The installer made a mistake if this is the case.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #12

washer drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Man View Post
The washer is always connected to the grey water tank. You need to open the grey water valve when using the washer.The best way to tell is to run a cycle through the washer and open the grey tank valve. You should see/hear the water draining out. I have never heard of a washer going to the black tank. IF this is so - was your washer/dryer added after the unit was initially put on the road? The installer made a mistake if this is the case.
Thanks for the reply. I agree it should be connected to the grey water tank. We bought the coach used and the washer was already installed so I don't know if it was an add on. I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.
Again thanks.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote