Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #1

Question Washer/Dryer vented vs Non-vented

We have a Carbon338 with a 10' garage. We don't have anything in the garage yet and may never have anything in it.
What are the opinions, good or bad, regarding the combination units?
Also looking for recommendations on the top of the line combo units.
Also give your thoughts on any units that should NEVER be considered.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had the combo unit that was unvented and did not like it. Does not dry well. It washed good, but, never dried completely. We now have a stacked unit by whirlpool and it works just like at home. The dryer is vented. It is an electric type.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Mine (separate dryer) is vented, wouldn’t want the moisture inside.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #4

Our unit is unvented. Drying is different than vented systems. It takes considerably longer, and things come out feeling very slightly damp, or a better word would be humid. The trick is to not immediately fold the clothes and put them away. Let them air out for a few minutes. The residual humidity dissipates quickly from light items, while things like waistbands on pants can take longer. If you expect the unvented unit to behave like a household dryer, you'll be disappointed. The way we look at it is, our combo frees us from having to find a laundromat. Being able to wash clothes anywhere we have utilities is a very nice luxury. We can sit at home while things wash and dry instead of hanging out at a laundromat. Bonus!

It's a bit like learning to live with an RV's tiny kitchen vs the the one in your house. Admittedly, knowing what we know now, if we were to choose what we were going to install, it would be a vented unit. When our 23 year old combo dies, if possible, we will replace it with a vented unit.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #5

Personaly, I would only get a vented dryer. Really don't like dumping moisture inside an RV when too much moisture inside is often a big problem already.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will not own a non-vented unit. Takes too long to dry and adds water to the grey tank due to the small condenser in the unit. Vented or forget it.

Ken
Old 10-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #7
Dom

The non vented dryer doesn't dump the moisture inside the RV. Admittedly not a ideal system, it sprays cold water on outer tub, this causes the moisture in the clothes to condense on outer tub and be pumped out down the drain. I also has a small electric element to warm up tumbling air.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with separate units, vented! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of different technologies with dryers. Depends on whether power consumption is a factor or not. The ventless dryers are condensing dryers, and then there is a subset of condensing dryer that uses a heat pump.
TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 AM   #10

Mine is vented and drys well, the hot air has to go somewhere.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Washer/Dryer vented vs Non-vented

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
….What are the opinions, good or bad, regarding the combination units?

Also looking for recommendations on the top of the line combo units..
We have a Splendide 2100XC vented combo, and we like it very much. The most frequent issue we seem to note on the forum is regarding drying time. These machines DO take somewhat longer to complete the entire cycle, but we don’t see this as a problem. We just sit and read, or run errands in the town, etc,. The delay comes from the 110VAC dryer heating element and the relatively small load size. Your residential dryer runs on 220VAC, and can handle 30Lbs or more.
There is a learning curve with these machines, as with any machine. But in the end you’re far better off with than without.
As to your other question, if you look at online forum traffic the majority of RVers seem to have Splendide. My observation is that the Splendide is considered the gold standard; all others are trying to be it.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent