Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Washer dryer What do you think? Your opinion please.

Now that we are living full time rv, the DW has decided she wants a washer and dryer.
We have room for the stackable and are wired and plumbed for it.
After much research we are more undecided than ever . The whirlpools seem popular, but not great ratings. Sears appliance salesman not very helpful on rv installation. Splendid seem to be very popular, just don't know much about them.
My question, do any of you have opinions on any particular brand and if so Why?
2nd. if I go with stackable's how does someone get to the water supply in case of a leak? seem you would have to un-install the dryer to get to it.
Am I over thinking this too much? I have posted this on another rv forum. just trying to get as many opinions as I can
Thanks in advance.
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
We are weekend RVers, but we do have and use our stackable washer/dryer. We like it quite a bit but ours is a 2013, and (knock on wood) we haven't experienced any problems with it. I do worry that when it needs to be replaced it will require removing doors, trim, and our front windshield! Ours is the Whirlpool pair that came with the motorhome from Fleetwood. You are correct--there are some so-so reviews on it out there, but I've found that to be true for virtually all large appliances. I read a lot more negatives about the washer/dryer that is one unit--where you put your clothes in and it washes, then dries them. While some people like them, I read that it can take HOURS to complete a load from start to finish, and even then, the loads are very small.

When we buy our next RV, stackable washer and dryer will be on our must-have list. Same is true for the dishwasher. I installed one in our current RV and it's the best mod I've done yet!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2008 Fleetwood Providence with a Splendid Combination washer/dryer. I don't use it a lot because it takes quite awhile to do both the washing and drying plus it doesn't hold very large loads. However, when I have used it, I have had no problems and it has saved me in a pinch several times. Have also used it just to dry wet items when needed. The process to winterize and de-winterize is very simple and easy. Next motorhome I'll look forward to the stackable unit.
darcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

surprised, Not many opinions.
thanks to the 2 that did post
2014 Ram Laramie, 4x4, Dually, Crew Cab, 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Trans, 4:10 rears
2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3,full body paint,17.5 tires, Disc brakes.
rving4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

Whe have the Splendide stack. I think these are excellent machines but probably more expensive that some to the others. We have no complaints.
Our water connection comes ff of the bathroom sink supply, as does our shower. If you need to shut off the water to the washer you would turn off the valve under that sink.
If you wanted separate valves for the washer it would be easy enough to install them when you tap into the current suppy lines.
The above is based on my setup. Yours may be different.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What do you think? Your opinion please.

We have the Splendide vented combo. The load size is smaller than typical residential machines, and the cycle time is somewhat longer, but for the two of us it serves our purposes well and we are pleased with it. It has run well and reliably for us. When you get into the question of stackable vs combo unit you really are debating the value of the storage/utility space lost to the separate dryer.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Have a year 2006 stacked whirlpool set in our RV. Only one problem a couple of years back. Water pump had to be replaced because a dime had somehow found it's way to the water pump impeller.

Have been full timing since 2011. Many a load run. If you plan on full timing I would steer you away from the Splendid units. If you plan on using your RV for vacations or weekends the Splendid will be satisfactory.

With the whirlpool stacked units there is significant space to access the shut-off valves for the hot and cold water. Just like your house.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Splendide combo, works great for us, no problems in 5 years full timing
Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Splendide combo, installed 2 snowbird seasons ago ( 5 months each season) using pods for HE washers and DW always stops the unit after the wash cycle and shakes out the load before the dry cycle , keeps the wrinkles to a minimum.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #10

We installed a LG washer/dryer apartment size unit over 7 years ago and have had no issues. It was more expensive then the Splendide, however it came with a 5 year warranty, was vent-less and a larger capacity. The cycle is somewhat long, however if you wash and hang things out to dry you can save some time. It handles all our needs and does a good job. I questioned a rep as to why they did not advertise in the RV world and they stated that they did not want to get into issues of having to winterize units. We have found the process to be very simple and have had no issues.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
We have had the single combination unit and now have the two separate units. We were happy with the single unit because it washes and dries in the same cycle and you go to bed and wake up with dry clothes. Yes-loads are small but it does the daily clothes for both of us overnight. We have separate units now and loads are still small but not as small as the single unit. Wouldn't have a rig without a washer/dryer anymore. I would steer away from a ventless system as it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. JMO hope this helps. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Our '11 Ventana came with the stackable Whirlpool W/D when we bought it in '14. I've done several loads of laundry over the last month while we've been on the road and have no complaints. I can dry while doing another wash and to wash & dry one load takes about 2 hours. 2 loads takes about 3 hours.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

Our coach came with a Whirlpool stack. We use them alot. Even on the road.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

Our stacked Whirlpool combo works great. Quiet, cleans the clothes well, dryer is efficient. So thrilled to have it!
Fulltime and loving it!
lsw9658 is offline   Reply With Quote