Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Water Heater Issue

I have an issue with the hot water heater in my 2005 Winnebago Adventurer Model 38J. The heater is an Atwood 10 gallon unit, Model 10E -propane and electric with a supplementary engine heat exchanger. The hot water supply at both the kitchen sink and the bathroom vanity sink is intermittent even though the water heater is up to full temperature - regardless of whether the water source is supplied from city water or from the onboard water pump. When the problem occurs the hot water pressure is reduced at the fixtures and the flow drops to zero or a trickle, while water pressure and flow remain high when cold water is selected. The water heater bypass valve is situated in the cabinet next to the water pump, on the opposite side of the coach from the water heater. Operating the bypass valve results in cold water at full volume, even though the fixture is calling for hot water. I suspect an intermittent blockage in the check valve at the hot water outlet of the water heater, possibly from loose internal tank residue. I'd welcome advise from anyone who has dealt with such a problem. Cheers
Ron out
RVsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't offer a solution for that but I noticed that you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Check and make sure your heater is not in the winter mode. There should be valves on the back side of the the heater to turn the water flow on and off
Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

YES.......
The HOT out Check Valve on your WH Tank is clogging up
ie: Good HOT flow that diminishes to a trickle

Have to remove check valve and replace it.
HOT Out on tank has a nipple that hot water line connects to. THAT is the check valve (it is internal part of that nipple)
Personally if you have the room....remove check valve (just remove internals if nipple---reinstall nipple) and install a hot out shutoff valve

Check valves are used in place of shutoff valves (cheaper/less labor involved)
That are so you can bypass water heater and stop any backflow into WH Tank via HOT Out

Shutoff valves don't clog up like those cheap plastic check valve assemblies

2 valve system with check valve

3 valve system NO CHECK Valves
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your quick response and helpful suggestions. Access to the back of the water heater is only through an access panel when the driver's side slide is out so replacing the check valve with a three valve system would not be workable. Replacing the check valve will be a job for next spring when I take the coach out of winter storage at which time I'll do a major flush of the water heater to remove any residue build up. All the best.
Cheers
Ron out
RVsRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater