Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Water heater leaking

Hello to all, I am new to this forum. I have a 10 gallon atwood water heater that we just de winterized this past weekend, and we found out that started leaking when filling it up to the top. I will try to fire up, but the red light goes on and it stops trying. We are not sure where is leaking from. We took the drain plug off and then we put back in place and refilled, but when it fills to the top, starts leaking again. We are thinking that maybe we didn't winterize properly? If the tank is punctured, do we need to replace the whole unit or can the tank only be replaced? Can be the pipes going to the tank the ones leaking? Since we can't see where the leak is happening. We did the winterizing three times before with the same process and we had no problems.
Thank you, and look forward to your replies.
S2rg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

Hi and Welcome to iRV2. I hope we can get you all the info you need. I will ask some questions. Is the water leaking inside the coach, compartment, or outside , through the burner chimmney ? How old is the coach ? How cold did it get in your area over the winter?
The water lines can leak , and the hot outlet is high on the tank, on the side or rear depending on the installation. Most times if the tank leaks the whole assembly needs to be replaced. I do not think that the tank can be purchased without the propane burners and controls.
I think that some where there has to be access to the rear of the tank, a screwed in panel in the coach, removing drawers, somehow you have to be able to see what's going on . Good luck
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

Is it leaking out the pressure relief valve? If so, this is normal.

Nice article in this month's FMCA magazine on water heaters. Might be worth checking.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

The most common place for water heaters to leak is at the pressure relief valve. They just wear out. You can get a new one at Home Depot if you match the specs on the metal tag on the pressure relief valve.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The pressure relief valve, over time, can get crud built up in it. If you remove it you can soak it in white vinegar for a few hours. As said you could just go to HD or Lowes and get a replacement.

If after installing you still get an occasional drip from it just flip the handle on it to reset the water level in the tank.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

My new 5er leaked on the second trip. "Flipped" it many time and it still dribbled. Dealer wanted me to bring all 33' of it in. They took my word for it and gave me a new one. It never leaked again.

My friend in SLC didn't winterize properly and his WH tank crackled. He took it out and apart and had it TIG welded for $20.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #7

Thank you to all for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2rg34 View Post
Hello to all, I am new to this forum. I have a 10 gallon atwood water heater that we just de winterized this past weekend, and we found out that started leaking when filling it up to the top. I will try to fire up, but the red light goes on and it stops trying. We are not sure where is leaking from. We took the drain plug off and then we put back in place and refilled, but when it fills to the top, starts leaking again. We are thinking that maybe we didn't winterize properly? If the tank is punctured, do we need to replace the whole unit or can the tank only be replaced? Can be the pipes going to the tank the ones leaking? Since we can't see where the leak is happening. We did the winterizing three times before with the same process and we had no problems.
Thank you, and look forward to your replies.

Hello everyone, well...We found the source of the leak, an amazing and beautiful rip on the hot water tank, it seems that when the winterizing was done, the tank was not properly drained... $500 bucks later, now is fixed, and one mistake we will never ever repeat
Another question we have is that if anyone know if there is a way to regulate the temperature on the water heater. It seems to be set up too hot.
Thank you to all, and look forward to hear from you.
S2rg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

Commercial Member

S2rg34

Atwood makes an Adjustable Thermostat for all their water heats except the XT model. The Atwood part number is 93105. They run somewhere around $30.00.

Sorry, gang, no such thing for the Surburan water heaters!

Hope this helps.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water