Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #1

My water heater in my Keystone Cabana seems to blow out the pilot and the burner if the door is closed. When I light the water heater. The pilot lights ok then I turn the control to the ON position, the burner comes on with a big puff and you can see flame out the open door. But the burner will stay on.

If the door is closed, the next time the burner tries to light, there is the big puff and the pilot and burner go out. I have to wait several minutes for the gas to clear, then I can light it. Also, the pilot will stay lit most of the time up until there is a demand for hot water. After running the hot water for a little bit, when the burner needs to come on to heat up more water, again poof and it goes out.

I have cleaned the combustion chamber, checked for loose connections and have replaced the thermo-couple. I now have been told that a technician should replace the couple. But, it seems so simple. Where does my problem lay? And can I fix it my self? By the way, I did not get a manual for the water heater as my camper was purched used. Thanks for your time and help. Chuck

Maggie - the not so porky Yorkie and Eddie - the crazy Chiweenie
SavReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #2

My water heater in my Keystone Cabana seems to blow out the pilot and the burner if the door is closed. When I light the water heater. The pilot lights ok then I turn the control to the ON position, the burner comes on with a big puff and you can see flame out the open door. But the burner will stay on.

If the door is closed, the next time the burner tries to light, there is the big puff and the pilot and burner go out. I have to wait several minutes for the gas to clear, then I can light it. Also, the pilot will stay lit most of the time up until there is a demand for hot water. After running the hot water for a little bit, when the burner needs to come on to heat up more water, again poof and it goes out.

I have cleaned the combustion chamber, checked for loose connections and have replaced the thermo-couple. I now have been told that a technician should replace the couple. But, it seems so simple. Where does my problem lay? And can I fix it my self? By the way, I did not get a manual for the water heater as my camper was purched used. Thanks for your time and help. Chuck

Old 09-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
SavReb, What color was the flame? What brand is the water heater. I would recommend you have a qualified person check the operating gas pressure on the system. Once you know it is correct we can help you diagnose the problem. If the flame is yellow it is not gettting enough combustion air; open the air shutter for a more blue flame. If you don't feel comfortable doing this seem professional help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #4

<What color was the flame?
Blue

<What brand is the water heater.
Suburban

<open the air shutter
I can not see anything like what you describe. I'm trying to get a manual from the Suburban Co.

This started immediately after changing over to a Blue Rhino tank. (We keep two tanks on our camper.) We thought at first that the new tank might have been the problem. That tank has since run out of propane and we are now on a different tank, but the problem still persists.

Thanks,
Chuck

Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The flame should not be rolling back out the burner tube. Be sure that there is no blockage and clean the burner tube assmy as well( remove it and clean). There may be a spider web inside the venturi and this can dirupt the flow of gas enough to cause your problem.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #6

First let me thanks all of you who gave me advise and guidance on my water heater problems. They were a great help. My problem is now cured! After cleaning the combustion chamber and flu, then replacing the thermo-couple, I could see small improvements, but no cure. I contacted the Suburban Co. and they had me move the pilot light hood toward the burner which stopped the big puff and flame when the burner came on. It gave me a much smoother ignition. But the pilot would still go out and then the burner. In the mean time I had received a manual from Suburban. It stated that the pilot flame should envelope the thermo-couple probe. I tried several things like adjusting the pilot and trying to reposition the probe. Didn't work. So I took out the pilot hood and opened it so that it could heat the probe as well as be nearer the burner. This helped a bit more. In taking the hood off I noticed a small metal cap over the end of the gas line to the pilot. It appeared to be a solid metal piece. I scratched the end with my thumb nail and could see a small dot like an openning. I tried to blow though it and could force some air though it. So I used a machinist scribe and gently cleaned the hole from the inside and out. I reassembled the heater and "happy days", it's working like a champ. Again Thanks for all your help. Maybe this will help someone else with heater problems.