Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 10:14 PM   #1

Water Heater Replacement

During the hard freeze we had (about a month ago) I was away (due to medical reasons) and was unable to winterize our motorhome.

Upon returning, I discovered that the water filter (in the cargo bay) had busted. After replacing that, I found that the "under-sink" filter was busted.

That one was hard to locate.

I want to thank one of our members (MBROOKING) for having the same exact filter that I needed.

I replaced that one. only to find that my next water leak was coming from the backside of the water heater tank.

Thinking that the problem was going to be a busted water hose, I pulled the tank out.

Turns out, the back of the tank, towards the top, has a 3 inch split, running vertically .

I am wondering if JB Weld would fix this.

If not. then the question becomes ...
Should I replace the tank with another Atwood, or should I install a tankless water heater?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 10:47 PM   #2

No JB Weld is NOT the way to go

Just have the crack repaired by a welder that does aluminum

If it is a 6 gal model....they are hard as hen's teeth to find (replacement tank or whole new unit)
Dometic (acquired Atwood) is phasing out the Atwood Brand...they no longer support the 6 gallon models
They have their own new version and it is NOT a direct replacement for the older Atwood ---it is different size

Have the tank welded....not very expensive and even a very large crak can be done

IF it is a 10 gal model replacement tanks are still available
So which do you have?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #3

I have the 10-gallon tank.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

Atwood 10 gallon Replacement tank

If it is a Gas/Electric Combo.....Atwood 91060
GC10A-4E
$265-$390 depending on vendor/source

If it is a Gas/Electric Combo WITH Motor Aid .....Atwood 91028
GCH10A-4E
$270-$390 depending on vendor/source

Welding up the crack......less then new replacement tank
Old 03-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
...WITH Motor Aid...
What is a "motor aid"?
Old 03-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
What is a "motor aid"?
WH Tank has tubing on backside of tank that Engine Hot Coolant flows thru heating the water as you drive
Old 03-30-2021, 10:33 PM   #7

I know that this is going against what I should probably do, and I will probably get a lot of flack for saying this, but since I need to either get my water heater repaired (It's probably the original from 2008), or shell out around $300 for a new one, I am still on the fence as to whether or not to go with a "tankless" water heater.

It is not unusual for a motorhome to have one. Some of the newer MHs come standard with tankless water heaters.

With the old unit pulled out, there is plenty of room for the tankless unit.

Never running out of hot water.
The cost of one is in the same ballpark as a gas/electric water.

The only downside I can see is not being able to heat up water, via propane.

The DW is OK with that.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #8

Another downside is not having the water already heated from the engine, but with it being a tankless system, you'd STILL need to turn off the water to it (prior to driving), but as soon as you park & turn the water and unit back on, you'd have hot water again.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
I know that this is going against what I should probably do, and I will probably get a lot of flack for saying this, but since I need to either get my water heater repaired (It's probably the original from 2008), or shell out around $300 for a new one, I am still on the fence as to whether or not to go with a "tankless" water heater.

It is not unusual for a motorhome to have one. Some of the newer MHs come standard with tankless water heaters.

With the old unit pulled out, there is plenty of room for the tankless unit.

Never running out of hot water.
The cost of one is in the same ballpark as a gas/electric water.

The only downside I can see is not being able to heat up water, via propane.

The DW is OK with that.
Tankless water heaters for RVs are propane, not electric.

A decent tankless, electric, water heater will be 240 volts at 30 amps. That's more then 1/2 of your shore power on a 50 amp service.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Tankless water heaters for RVs are propane, not electric.

A decent tankless, electric, water heater will be 240 volts at 30 amps. That's more then 1/2 of your shore power on a 50 amp service.
I had no idea that there was such a thing as a PROPANE tankless water heater. I need to do more research.

Twinboat, thanks for the info.
No flaming. Just giving me facts to consider.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:37 AM   #11

I did NOT go with a tankless water heater.

But now, we move on the next water issue...

We now have hot water everywhere we're supposed to, except for the shower. No hot water, no cold water, nothing but a little drip.

I went outside, expecting to find water pouring out through the bottom. But; I didn't see any water leaking. No sounds of water leaking. Just a dripping shower head.

I thought that we had tracked down and repaired all of the places that were damaged in the freeze. With no water leaking, the problem COULD be in the shower head or hose, but I doubt it. The shower was working before the freezer.

Any ideas as to where to look next?
Old 04-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
I did NOT go with a tankless water heater.

But now, we move on the next water issue...

We now have hot water everywhere we're supposed to, except for the shower. No hot water, no cold water, nothing but a little drip.

I went outside, expecting to find water pouring out through the bottom. But; I didn't see any water leaking. No sounds of water leaking. Just a dripping shower head.

I thought that we had tracked down and repaired all of the places that were damaged in the freeze. With no water leaking, the problem COULD be in the shower head or hose, but I doubt it. The shower was working before the freezer.

Any ideas as to where to look next?
What happens if you unscrew the shower head? Could be debris clogging the shower head or the water valves.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
What happens if you unscrew the shower head? Could be debris clogging the shower head or the water valves.
Litzdog,

That was exactly what the problem was. I was sure that it wasn't going to help, because the hose felt so light. But, sure enough, with the shower head removed, water came gushing out.

Tags
ace, heat, heater, replace, replacement, water, water heater