Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2023, 08:30 AM   #1

Water heater replacement?

So I am lacking so much knowledge so I figured I would come to the professionals and by professionals someone who isnt just attempting to sell their product. I currently have a 2015 Jayco 287 BHSW bumper pull camper. It had an atwood G6A-8E water heater that froze and busted at the very beginning of winter. At least thats what Im assuming happened. Ive been searching for a replacement with no avail. I wanted to get the same one so there wouldnt be any conversion needed but they have discontinued this particular hot water heater. Could anyone give me honest, cheapest solutions for a replacement I would truly appreciate it. Thanks Everyone!
Cncottrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #2

I think I would spend a lot of time on the internet & phone looking for someone with a New Old Stock….. OR …… Looking at RV dismantlers…..
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:39 AM   #3

Cncottrill-

You may be able to have a welder repair your Atwood's tank.

I would buy a new Suburban SAW6D, SAW6DE or SAW6DEL, as appropriate (link here). I'd rather not worry about a repaired tank's integrity.

Dometic bought out Atwood's water heater line a few years ago, and discontinued it. You no longer can buy a "new" Atwood unit, or a replacement tank.

Suburban, who already made their own line of RV water heaters, saw an opportunity in all those orphaned Atwood 6-gallon heater owners. They designed the SAW6D/DE/DEL as a "direct" replacement for the Atwood.

Now, I haven't had to replace an Atwood with a SAW6D/DE/DEL, but the promise you'll have to change nothing (or little) on your coach is there.

Current pricing looks to be $400 to $500 for the SAW6D and $500 to $550 for the SAW6DEL. Make sure you buy the model, and any other parts "sold separately," that meets your needs.

If you go with the Suburban you'll need to use an anode rod in the drain opening, which is standard for Suburban heaters but not for the Atwoods.

As for the Atwood 10-gallon heater orphans, well...
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:42 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Dometic says it has a "direct replacement" for the model.
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...-heater-219437

I would call Bontrager's in White Pigeon, Mi.
https://bontragers.com/

If not there, I would try Johnson's in White Pigeon:
https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #5

I have welded 4 or 5 of old alum WHs, with miller spoolmatic mig gun. Sometimes it was longer to unwrap and re-insulate than welding took. Told other friends ,just no good if split into one of the threaded bungs. Killed one of my own camping up till December for 30 years and thought i had drained it for 10th time. I have belonged to camp, fish, hunt ,beach club for close to 30yrs. Fixed way more campers than my own in that time.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:54 PM   #6

Yes the split tank can be welded

Dometic WH-6GA is a gas only
*Folks have had issues with airflow & thermal fuse blowing

Yes the Suburban 'SAW' models are direct replacements

SAW6D....gas only
SAW6DE...gas/electric --separate controls 12VDC/Gas & 120VAC/electric
SAW 6DEL...gas/electric ---uses 12VDC for 'control' of gas & electric---requires 12VDC for gas and 120AC for electric
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:35 PM   #7

Okay so everywhere I've called "dealerships" have told me Dometic. I've seen the suburban online. Is there a difference and do you have a preference one way or the other and why? Sorry for being a pain
Cncottrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:15 PM   #8

Suburban SAW6D........gas only direct replacement of your old Atwood
Steel glass-lined tank so anode rod required
Long standing design

Dometic WH-6GA....gas only. Replaces old Atwood. Aluminum tank just like old Atwood
As mentioned..........folks have had issue with airflow/flame and premature Thermal Fuse blowing due to it's location

I personally am not a fan of the new Dometic 6 gal design
The 10 gal is an improvement over the Old Atwood especially the gas/electric -----AC element moved to the front/outside compartment

Your choice....
If going gas only I would go with the Suburban SAW6D
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water, jayco, water, water heater, replacement