Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #1

water heater woes

I all my Minnie has got a water heater problem light comes on but wont start. Since its a 99 I am thinking of replacing with an on demand heater whats the best on demand water heater to replace the Attwood thats in there? Any thoughts would be appreciated
rwhit52650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit52650 View Post
Any thoughts would be appreciated
I had the same problem with my Coachmen Freelander.

I went to YouTube and searched for "Atwood". I found several GOOD videos on troubleshooting the Atwood water heater -

Mine turned out to be a blown thermal fuse. The fuse is usually encased in a clear plastic sleeve and blows when/if the flame burner backfires. You can check the fuse with an Ohm meter.

Amazon has replacement thermal fuses pretty inexpensively - https://www.amazon.com/BOJACK-Therma...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I got and installed a new fuse and all is well. NOW, I even have a bunch of spare fuses.

Good luck with solving the problem.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #3

OPs thermal cut out is good otherwise no Light would come on....Thermal cut out stops all dc

could be bad spark electrode, could be bad gas valve solenoid, could be bad circuit board
Hard to diagnose w/o model and details of symptoms

As to replacing with Tankless......
Several brands/models available just need to check cut out opening dimensions to find one that will fit
Tankless have come a long way....seem to work better BUT water flow is critical for operation
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhit52650 View Post
I all my Minnie has got a water heater problem light comes on but wont start. Since its a 99 I am thinking of replacing with an on demand heater whats the best on demand water heater to replace the Attwood thats in there? Any thoughts would be appreciated
Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus is the factory hardware in our Navion, and it's an amazing water heater. Highly recommend. Simple to operate, and it works.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

I was very excited to see that they installed an on-demand water heater in our new Entegra Esteem 27U. BUT, at this point, I'd seriously consider exchanging it out for a conventional unit. The pluses are that you don't burn propane or kilowatt-hours to keep the water hot while not using it. And winterizing does not involve any special steps. Piece of cake. Two really nice plusses!

The minuses are that, like Old Biscuit said, it takes water flow to make it operate. And it needs to be a medium flow, at least, not a "trickle". When we turn on a hot water tap or shower valve it takes about 2 or 3 seconds for it to decide it needs to start. That is to prevent false operations from causing it to fire. It then takes another 8 to 10 seconds for the burner to light and the heat exchanger to come up to temperature so that the outflow temperature reaches much over 100 degrees and be useful as "hot" water. (We have it set to 112 degrees) Then, it takes another 5 to 10 seconds for the hot outflow water to reach the point of use. And even then, it takes a little more time to reach desired temperature as it has to warm the walls of all of the piping from the water heater to the point of use. So that's maybe 15 seconds of running (wasting) water before it finally what you want at the tap.

In small RV's like our Esteem, fresh tank contents and holding tank limitations make wasting water a not so good idea. Like everything in life, there are tradeoffs in every decision. Maybe we'll get used to it. I do know that we don't get to wash or rinse dishes with hot water, as it is just way to wasteful to have it be hot when we want it hot, so I don't even try. The reason for the 112 degree setting is that we can shower with it running straight hot. Having to mix in cold just uses a little more water than we'd prefer to use.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater