Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #1

Water heater wonít ignite

hello fellow RVers

Iím a newbie to this rv world.

Picked up a Ď98 Chevy Tioga and sheís kinda a mess

Was trying out the water heater and it wonít ignite. Gas comes thru and then shuts off as the igniter isnít sparking.

Iíve cleaned out the area pretty well, checked connectivity, sanded down the leads on the igniter and there is connectivity as I checked off a meter.

The control panel looks fairly new so before I convert this to electric, any ideas on what to do next? I could replace the relay wire fuse but not sure if that is the problem.

Thanks for your collective help on this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ECB7C54-0926-43E0-8A73-257920A5E9AF.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	343567   Click image for larger version

Name:	C857EFEC-689B-4EEB-8F97-0B050DBFBD59.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	343568  

Name:	8B2C1F3F-6F81-4E27-92CB-D20522F228CF.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	343569  
jdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #2

You say gas, but no spark... From the Atwood manual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_1.png
Views:	8
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	343571  
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a spade connector on the black ignition wire. Pull the wire off. Make a jumper wire with a spade connector. Grab the wire with a pair of good insulated pliers. Hold the wire 1/8 inch from the metal tank. Have someone turn on the power. If you get no spark, the board is bad. Buy a new board. If you get a spark, the glass insulator on the bracket is cracked and going to ground. Buy a new wire.
Before doing the above, the first thing to do is to look into the heater pipe with a flashlight and make sure there is a 1/8 inch gap between the igniter and the ground. Also check for a carbon buildup between the two.
I have repaired dozens of water heaters for ignition failure. The number 1 reason was a cracked ceramic insulator.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Just be mindful when 'jumpering' the spark wire

Just like a Spark Pluh on gas engine that wire carries High DC voltage/Low amperage
IIRC it's around 2000VDC that the transformer produces for ignition

No spark:
Bad spark electrode gap
Bad spark electrode ceramic insulator
Bad spark high tension wire
Bad spark assembly ground...screw is ground source
Bad circuit board

Relay fuse wire??
If you mean the thermal cut off (inside the clear tube) that is a one shot fuse that blows (190*F) when exposed to flame blow back out of burner/combustion chamber.
When it blows ALL DC is stopped....nothing functions until replaced

1998 vintage
Atwood GAS Only DSI 6 gal unit
G6A-7E or 8E version

NEW spark Electrode is roughly $15 on Amazon
Atwood 93868

New Atwood Board/Spark electrode Kit
Atwood 91363
*Atwood Boards have changed over the years...wiring connector adapters needed to convert from 'edge' to 'pin' connector
Atwood 93311 (adapter...$4)

Convert to electric???
Do you mean replace with a Electric/Gas water heater
OR
Installing a HOTT Rod low wattage element in the drain hole
?????
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:13 PM   #5

When mine was having this problem, the spark assembly that Old Biscuit mentioned for $15 on Amazon cured my problem. You could also see if that thermal fuse in the clear tube is bad by bypassing it. Just take it out of the circuit and plug the black wire directly onto the connection and see if it works. Or if you have a continuity meter try that.

But your igniter electrode assembly looks like it's seen better days.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210919_130828.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	343594  
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
When mine was having this problem, the spark assembly that Old Biscuit mentioned for $15 on Amazon cured my problem. You could also see if that thermal fuse in the clear tube is bad by bypassing it. Just take it out of the circuit and plug the black wire directly onto the connection and see if it works. Or if you have a continuity meter try that.

But your igniter electrode assembly looks like it's seen better days.
Bad Thermal Fuse.....nothing works
OP stated gas valve was working just no sparking
Old 09-19-2021, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Bad Thermal Fuse.....nothing works
OP stated gas valve was working just no sparking
Great point, so it's probably the igniter assembly.
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Great point, so it's probably the igniter assembly.
Or the circuit board......
Old 09-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #9

Just a guess

Test your water for leaks. Don't run it without water in it. Could be rusted out.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #10

I assume there is water in the hot water heater by turning on the hot water valve in the sink - checked that and water is there

I cleaned the assembly, no cobwebs, etc. Checked connectivity on the igniter electrode and it was hard to get a reading. Sanded down and now volt meter reads well. Still not sparking.

I bypassed the thermal fuse directly and same result. Selinoid releases gas and then shuts off.

I’m thinking of just ordering a full igniter and circuit board assembly, starting with ignition first and the moving to the new board as the ignition assembly will be new. Amazon has them in stock and will be here in a couple days. Will save me some time if nothing else. Though the board looks fairly new and the ignition assembly/wire as well. No cracking wire, leads, rubber cap is clean, pliable, etc. I will need to check on the 1/8” gap. Ceramic cover looked good. No cracks.

Will check back on this shortly. Thanks for all the recs. Keep them coming.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #11

If water heater has a BYPASS valve and it is OPEN you will get flow out of faucet hotside....doesn't mean water heater is full

Check the valving on backside of water heater
Cold Inlet valve OPEN (bottom line)
BYPASS valve CLOSED (line between bottom & top lines)
Hot Outlet valve OPEN (top line----may not be a valve if a Check Valve was used)

Water heater filled with water or NOT will NOT affect whether gas operates (gas valve opens/ignitor sparks)
It will possibly cause the ECO to trip due to overheating of tank
(ECO tripping---RED Fault Light)

**Tank is aluminum ......thermal shock can fatigue it so if overheated let it cool down before opening cold inlet valve
Old 10-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #12

hi everybody

thanks for everyone’s input on this thread. i finally got around to using a new relay fuse and viola! the gas ignited almost instantly! i’m a little concerned tho as I can hear/see the spark from the igniter continuously sparking even with a pretty solid flame. should this be normal? or should there be some more tinkering be done? I did purchase a new spark assembly and board (they were kitted together). obviously the board is good and the igniter but still wondering why it continuously sparks. thanks again!
Old 10-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg View Post
hi everybody

thanks for everyoneís input on this thread. i finally got around to using a new relay fuse and viola! the gas ignited almost instantly! iím a little concerned tho as I can hear/see the spark from the igniter continuously sparking even with a pretty solid flame. should this be normal? or should there be some more tinkering be done? I did purchase a new spark assembly and board (they were kitted together). obviously the board is good and the igniter but still wondering why it continuously sparks. thanks again!
Relay fuse/Thermal Fuse......if it was bad then you would NOT have gotten DC to the gas valve solenoids like you previously stated.

Spark Electrode 'firing' continuously after flame is established....bad circuit board

Not clear from your statement about purchasing new board/spark assembly????
Did you install them and spark electrode is still 'firing' continuously???
OR is old board still installed...old spark electrode????

New board should not allow spark electrode to continue to fire and gas valve stay open

Explain what new parts HAVE BEEN installed......
Old 10-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #14

hmmm. the only piece I installed new is the relay fuse wire. the board and igniter are still in place. is there any real issue if the igniter fires continuously? once this ‘burns’ out I can install the new board and igniter (spark electrode)

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater