Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 04:17 AM   #1

Water Leak After Flushing Black Tank

[Mod Edit]
OK - here's a puzzler: Our 2020 Jayco Precept 31 UL; after flushing the black tank, there was a puddle of water on the bathroom floor. But it wasn't under the toilet; it was near the sink, at the corner of the doorway to the bathroom. Didn't notice it until after flushing the tank; not sure how long after, but I was outside finishing the takedown process so I didn't see it right away. DW was cleaning the bathroom around the same time, but didn't run the water in the sink very much; had used Lysol wipes.

So, does anyone know offhand if the supply line from the hookup in the wetbay to the black tank is routed above the floor? Access point(s)? Check valve under the sink? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Mickey
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #2

There is an air admittance valve (vacuum breaker) for the black tank that is usually under the sink in the bathroom. It may have let some flush water passed it. Keep an eye on it and replace (Home Depot) if it happens again.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:32 AM   #3

Here is what is up behind the sink. Remove it and replace it with pvc fittings. Cut the tank side line-the side that the fitting connects to in a straight line, not vertically-and put a sharkbite checkvalve in it. You will have to remove 3/4" of pex to put it in so the lines stay where they are. Removed my check valve/anti backflow device because of the exact same reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88020328-56B9-42F2-82BC-77626D286749.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	332455  
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Common leak point. The manufacturer actually states not to install anywhere you don't want to get wet. See line 7 in the attached. Yet RV manufacturers continue to install them under the sinks with no way to drain the leakage so that damage doesn't occur.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B&B_Molders_Tank_Flusher_Install_Instructions.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	332463  
Old 06-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks! Will check that next time I'm at the coach.

Mickey
Old 06-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #6

Forgot to mention that you cut the vertical line to put in the check valve. Make sure the arrow is pointing down (toward the tank). When you remove the unit you will see the arrow on it that shows water flow. The arrow also tells you which line goes to the tank.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

Thanks again. Will check this all out next time at the storage site, and then on our next time out will test to see if it springs a leak again.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

It will not be an if. It is designed to be a leak.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Forgot to mention that you cut the vertical line to put in the check valve. Make sure the arrow is pointing down (toward the tank). When you remove the unit you will see the arrow on it that shows water flow. The arrow also tells you which line goes to the tank.
Went to the storage site and checked under the bathroom sink - there it was, and pretty easy access. I pulled the valve and will be replacing.

The way it's installed, the line from the valve to the tank is horizontal, then a right angle down. May have to change that; will take another look after getting a proper valve.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Mickey
Old 06-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #10

To make the change easy, get a right angle with a thread on one side, a straight with a thread on one end and about an inch and a half of pvc pipe. All fittings are 1/2". Glue the piece of pipe into the two fittings and then put the assembly where the vacuum breaker/check valve was. Keeping the original threaded fittings makes the change over easy.
I just went down the pex tubing that headed to the black tank to an easy spot to work on and cut out 3/4" of length and installed the sharkbite check valve. No more under sink leak. Here is a pic of the fitting I made to replace the device.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E462747D-BEA5-4A6F-8F74-2A6C01A71014.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	332599  
Old 06-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #11

Coastal Campers
If you eliminate the fitting under the sink, you really should use a garden hose back flow preventor on the end of your supply hose to prevent accidentally https://www.amazon.com/Homewerks-VAC...4032902&sr=8-5 backing black tank contents into the water system.

You can get one at most hardware stores - they also come in plastic.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
To make the change easy, get a right angle with a thread on one side, a straight with a thread on one end and about an inch and a half of pvc pipe. All fittings are 1/2". Glue the piece of pipe into the two fittings and then put the assembly where the vacuum breaker/check valve was. Keeping the original threaded fittings makes the change over easy.
I just went down the pex tubing that headed to the black tank to an easy spot to work on and cut out 3/4" of length and installed the sharkbite check valve. No more under sink leak. Here is a pic of the fitting I made to replace the device.

Great solution - thanks!
Old 06-18-2021, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliWali View Post
If you eliminate the fitting under the sink, you really should use a garden hose back flow preventor on the end of your supply hose to prevent accidentally https://www.amazon.com/Homewerks-VAC...4032902&sr=8-5 backing black tank contents into the water system.

You can get one at most hardware stores - they also come in plastic.

Won't be eliminating the checkvavle, but another good idea - thanks!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:42 AM   #14

Quote:

Got the pvc fittings yesterday and assembled; ready to go with that. I ordered the Sharkbite check valve, as our local hardware store doesn't carry that. Quick question: does it matter whether the flow is upward or downward? If I remember correctly, the Pex tubing that directs the water up to the old check valve has a bit easier access than the line away from the valve toward the tank. Forgive me if I'm overthinking this (seems to be my modus operandi!

Mickey

Tags
black tank, leak, tank, water, water leak