Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Water Pressure Regulators

I have a technical question about water pressure regulators like the Camco brass cylindrical or even the adjustable ones. Doesn't the static pressure in your water system (that is your piping) equal the water pressure at the water valve? Isn't it more of a flow restrictor than a regulator? I was also looking at the Valtera 1117 which is a little more sophisticated but I have my doubts that the static pressure is reduced. It's the tap at the use point (like the sink) that stops the flow and not the regulator so you have line pressure all the way to the tap. It just seems to me that, if you are at a park that has 120 psi water pressure, your piping is going to be 120 psi until you open a valve.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes and no would be the correct answer for a normal water pressure regulator. The downstream side has a spring and diaphragm. If no water is flowing then the regulator is also off and the pressure is regulated by the spring and diaphragm.
The cycling on and off happens quickly and frequently to maintained the downstream pressure.
I cannot speak for the low end RV regulators.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437413345.569122.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	100676

Steve
Old 07-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The cheap RV regulators don't regulate the pressure they just restrict the flow. That will in effect reduce the chance of over pressurizing your system if a CG has high water pressure. You do have a reduction of pressure but also a reduction of flow. With a true regulator you don't loose the flow or volume.

It's not unlike an air compressor. A cheap AC may rate the compressor at 150 PSI but when you try using an air impact gun or paint sprayer the AC can't keep up with the CFM demand of those items. You need a good rating of CFM or (cubic feet per minute. That's what does the work.

I'm sure there's a more technical explanation but.

TeJay
Old 07-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A good regulator like my Watts will regulate the pressure without restricting the flow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1689.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	100681  
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #5

Water Pressure Regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
A good regulator like my Watts will regulate the pressure without restricting the flow

X2 don't waste your money on the little hose end jobs go to you home improve my store and get a watts.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What is the right Watts regulator to buy for RV use? I want one with the gauge built in. Thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I see that Valtera has an adjustable regulator also. I called them to get more info and they did not have as tech support person, but the lady that answered said that the adjustable regulator had about 14-15 GPM flow rate at 45 PSI, compared to about 9 GPM on the standard regulators.

I just went to the Watts website, and it looks like their adjustable regulators have about 7-8 GPM flow rate at 50 PSI. I wonder if the lady at Valterra knew what she was talking about!

I wonder how this unit compares to the Watts regulators from a quality standpoint?

I just found the one below on Amazon. It looks exactly like the Valterra unit and has the same part number except for the letters at the end, but MUCH less expensive! The specs say it is lead-free, but that is not cast in the metal as the Valterra model is. Anybody tried this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regul...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 07-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using the Valtera adjustable regulator. So far no problems. Did not notice any loss of volume.

Steve
Old 07-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I have a technical question about water pressure regulators like the Camco brass cylindrical or even the adjustable ones. Doesn't the static pressure in your water system (that is your piping) equal the water pressure at the water valve? Isn't it more of a flow restrictor than a regulator?
No, they are regulators and control the static pressure rather well when new.. Eventually they wear out

YES the ones you describe are flow restrictors as well. I do not recommend them with one possible exception.

The Valterra Adjustable

What I recommend are WATTS or ZURIN units that are not really designed for RV use. these have a bell shaped housing with a bolt of some kind sticking out of the top this housing is atop a brass body.. The bolt is the pressure adjustment.

They work well when new, controlling static pressure without impeading flow but do need to be rebulit from time to time. (easily done)

true story:
Was talking to the owner of the campground where I'm parked and another camper and we were discussing regulators (not needed here) I mentioned that when a park is on CITY water that is often 80 PSI and in one park I visited it has been measured at 112 PSI.. the other camper mentioned he'd stayed at a campground like that and the area where it was located.

Same campground.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

This is what I use.

Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What is the right Watts regulator to buy for RV use? I want one with the gauge built in. Thanks!
I have mine set in the water bay at 60 psig. It does a good job. Yes, I know the hose is not protected but it's just simpler this way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	100687  
Old 07-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post

Jerry, how do you set the pressure without a gauge?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #13

The Valterra adjustable unit works fine however the Watts is the Gold Standard of regulators. Where I grew up in Massachusetts just about every family had one member who worked at the Watts plant at one time or another.

I have had the Valterra adjustable regulator with the gauge like listed below for over 5 years now and it has been trouble free:
Amazon.com: Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator: Automotive
Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Jerry, how do you set the pressure without a gauge?
Same regulator as carrier posted, gauge and regulator purchased at Lowes.
Gauge screws to regulator output then removes and stores. Gauges are notorious for leaks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pressure Gauge.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	100731  
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water