Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Water pump check value

Greetings people of lots of wisdom,

OK. I made a mistake and did the following. With the city water hooked up and on I wanted to use some of my water in my potable tank. I turned on the pump and it did not work (city water still hooked up and on). I then turned off the pump and went out and turned off the city water at the value. I then used the pump and potable water for awhile and then turn off the pump and turned city water back on.

Now the potable tank is getting filled with the city water. So, I figure the check value went bad? Would what I did above damage the one way value? Currently I am just planning on using the potable tank for a day or so and see if the value is just stuck and it corrects itself. Since I am close to a RV dealer (and that is rare for us) I went ahead and picked up a brass check value to add in line between water pump and the potable tank in case the value does not return to working.

Additional info: Pump is a Shurflo, city inlet and potable fill or two separate inlets, looking at pump it would appear the check value is built in (I don't see a separate). Motorhome is Winnebago is that matters. I see no water leaking around the pump or tank. The reason I was alerted to the problem was the tank has an overflow line and I saw it dripping outside and then looked and the tank was indeed full (and it was about 2/3 before all this).

Your suggestions / thoughts / ideas please?

Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Yes the back flow is built into the pump.
The only problem I can see with your plan , is that it would appear you currently have no idea of the park's water pressure, unless your using a regulator that you didn't mention, there is a limit to what the built in valve will handle.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Yes the back flow is built into the pump.
The only problem I can see with your plan , is that it would appear you currently have no idea of the park's water pressure, unless your using a regulator that you didn't mention, there is a limit to what the built in valve will handle.
Yes, always use a water regulator. I called Shurflo and tech insisted you can leave city water on and elect to use pump instead. And so doing would not have caused one way value to stick. Sure seems an odd coincidence. He also said adding check value is ok solution. So, still hoping the on off use of pump will correct it so I don't have to do some plumbing!
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, looks like good news so far. I simply used the pump and potable water for a day or so and then went back to the city water. After about 8 hours or or more no backflow filling the potable tank. So perhaps the one way value was just clogged a bit. I did buy a new one to add in line between the pump and tank but so far it will sit in my tool box and maybe not need it...yet! Thanks for the replies. An interesting note is that in my research on the Internet and lots of forums the Shurflo pumps seem to have this failure more often. One person remarked they always add a one way check value because they don't trust the ones in the pumps!

Tags
water, water pump