Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Water Pump Continues to Run Very Slowly and Won't Shut Off

Hi All,

Just returned from a 4-day trip to Yosemite and had a near disaster in our Motorhome. Most of the time the water pump will pressurize the system and shut off like its supposed to do. Occasionally though, it will pressurize the system, but then will slow to about 1-3 revolutions per second and continue to run until either I notice the voltage drop or I hear/feel it. And of course, when the pump is at this point it is using the maximum current.

The H2O pump has always had this problem and I have usually caught it. This time however, I believe one of my kids left the pump on as we were leaving for the day and I didn't notice it. When we returned I couldn't figure out why there was no water at the faucet, the water tank was 3/4 full, the pump light was on. I went to the basement to cycle the fill valve to clear air and make sure the pump was primed. When I opened the basement door I noticed a slight hot electrical smell. The pump was very hot, too hot to hold my hand to, and the + wire had about 2" of insulation melted around it. Fortunately, there was no metal near the wire and the pump's thermal protection shut it down. The pump started working again after it cooled off for about two hours. Though my battery bank hit 11.5v, ouch! There are no apparent leaks and the fresh water level did not go down and the grey water tank level did not go up.

So, my questions are... I know there is an single adjustment screw on this pump, its a Shurflo variable speed/flow (don't know model # off hand) made in 2010. Will adjusting this screw help with this problem? If so, in which direction should it be turned? Or could this be caused by a leaky valve in the pump? If its the valve, whats the procedure to fix it?

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Tom
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

are you sure that it was not pumping water because there was a leak somewhere?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some are adjustable. There is a small screw on top. This one is similar to mine.

https://youtu.be/o2z2Q4oF4Co
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

I would take the pump apart and check the impellers. I found metal shaving in a pump after years of use. Sounds like your pump was running and not pumping water. If I remember correctly you have rubber check valves in the pump that could have something holding them open.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
are you sure that it was not pumping water because there was a leak somewhere?
Yes, I'm sure there are no leaks now. A couple of months ago we were at Dockweiler State Beach in L.A. They have extremely high water pressure and the following morning discovered that about 5+ gallons of water had leaked from a less-than-hand-tight factory plumbing installation. It had been a slow leak for awhile as there was a small amount of mildew below the leak, but the H2O pressure was too much and was lightly spraying all night.

So, no. Now that that leak is fixed, there shouldn't be any others. Hopefully
Old 05-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Some are adjustable. There is a small screw on top. This one is similar to mine.

https://youtu.be/o2z2Q4oF4Co
Thanks for the video link. I guess I'll have to play with it and see adjusting it in either direction helps.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I would take the pump apart and check the impellers. I found metal shaving in a pump after years of use. Sounds like your pump was running and not pumping water. If I remember correctly you have rubber check valves in the pump that could have something holding them open.
I should probably do this first, then try adjusting the screw, I just have to get to it to dismount and remove it.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

My Shurflow pump has 2 adjustable allen screws, one for the hi pressure cut-off switch and the other for the pump inlet bypass.

Tags
water, water pump