Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water pump making terrible noise when running

I have a Shurflow 2088-422-174 water pump that I inadvertently left on when I emptied the fresh water tank. I did not notice it until a month later when I heard a noise in the RV. I have now filled the fresh water tank with water and tried the pump. After it primed, it pumps water OK. But it makes quite a noise when doing so.

Any ideas of how long it might work this way? Does anyone know of a replacement pump since I do not see this model anywhere on the internet? Are the replacements the same size? Or will I have to do some re-plumbing in the process? Can I just buy the motor and not the whole pump?

Thanks for any help.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
I have a Shurflow 2088-422-174 water pump that I inadvertently left on when I emptied the fresh water tank. I did not notice it until a month later when I heard a noise in the RV. I have now filled the fresh water tank with water and tried the pump. After it primed, it pumps water OK. But it makes quite a noise when doing so.

Any ideas of how long it might work this way? Does anyone know of a replacement pump since I do not see this model anywhere on the internet? Are the replacements the same size? Or will I have to do some re-plumbing in the process? Can I just buy the motor and not the whole pump?

Thanks for any help.
I suspect the motor bearings have gone bad after running that long. There is no telling how long it will last that way. They are only designed for intermittent use. If you are the handy type you can try to find just the electric motor for it and replace just that portion of the pump. If not any water pump can be used in its place. Just be sure you get the equivalent gallons per hour ratings, or you will have a water volume issue.
Good luck.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

I am very surprised the pump works at all, considering all pumps use the medium they are pumping as a lubricant and cooling agent. I am unsure how long the pump actually ran and I do not know this models duty cycle. As far as replacement, all the ones I have changed are fairly straight forward, but with that said " I have only changed out 3, 1 of mine and 2 for friends. I just replace one with one that has the same pressure requirements and flow rate (GPM), (gallons per minute). I have never really worried about using the same manufacture and model that was in there, (have never had very good luck finding one. Normally not made anymore by the time they break. I'm am sure others may be able to give more advice. I am not the know all in RV repair, matter of fact I have learned many things on this forum.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

No need to replumb. The 2088 is an industry standard and anything from Shurflo will replace it. The manufacturer specifically notes they can be run dry, how long is unspecified. Whether it is the motor or the pump head, if you shop the Internet, you can easily fine a complete replacement and if it has any age on it, I would not mess with parts.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Here's a couple of hits I got from my iPhone. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450725383.640767.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	114628Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1450725405.483066.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	114629

Dave
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
The 144 and 444 are the same specs. I've got the 444 in my coach so I'm thinking it must have been replaced at one time.

Dave
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

You probably won't be able to tell if it is the water pump portion or the electric motor portion making the noise. For the cost of a new pump, don't even waste your time trying to figure it out, or repair it. Just replace it! And spend the rest of the day doing something PHUN!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #8

x2

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, water, water pump