Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #1

Water sanitation test for fresh water tank after cleaning

Okay, I wasn't paying attention to the signs, and filled my fresh tank with "water not for domestic use." So, I drained the tank, filled it with chlorox and water, ran it into LOWES and back, pumped it through the faucets, and let it sit over-night. Now I've drained it, flushed everything, and I guess it's fixed. But as severe diarrhea and abdominal pain are included in the cost of being wrong about that, I figured I'd buy a water test kit to check and see if I've really solved the problem. Anybody have any experience with these? There are a bunch of them out there, from $20-$300 plus, so I thought I'd ask before buying.
freebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird1 View Post
Okay, I wasn't paying attention to the signs, and filled my fresh tank with "water not for domestic use." So, I drained the tank, filled it with chlorox and water, ran it into LOWES and back, pumped it through the faucets, and let it sit over-night. Now I've drained it, flushed everything, and I guess it's fixed. But as severe diarrhea and abdominal pain are included in the cost of being wrong about that, I figured I'd buy a water test kit to check and see if I've really solved the problem. Anybody have any experience with these? There are a bunch of them out there, from $20-$300 plus, so I thought I'd ask before buying.
It sounds like you did your due diligence and did it better than I would have. I have not used a kit, but have you looked into an environmental lab in your area? They do tests, not sure on how much though.
Plumbing suppliers and Culligan type places do tests but they will do it "in home" so they can sell you water treatment systems.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #3

Correct mixture most use is 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gals of tank size....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird1 View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on the test. Most don't test for the biological contaminants you are concerned with and it is extremely easy to accidentally contaminate the sample while taking it.

If you are really concerned, run the disinfection routine again, but take a sample of the water the next day after running it for a few minutes through your kitchen faucet. Take that sample to the pool store and ask them for the "free chlorine" level. If it's above a 1.0, you will be good to go.

Good luck!

PS. Drain, flush and fill your system after this. ;-)
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #5

Chase the drink of water with a sizable quantity of tequila. If you get sick you can blame the tequila. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it and even though the water was posted as not potable, I seriously doubt it was contaminated.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 PM   #6

I had my well water tested by the local county health department. $23.00 dollars and you fill a bottle they give you. Worth checking into.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #7

The non potable hose uses the same water supply as the potable, the difference is people use the non potable hose to rinse sewer hoses and
hook to black tank flushers. So at worst, there may have been a bit of contamination on the hose end, and it sounds like you have done a good job sanitizing the tank and plumbing.

I wouldn't worry about it.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, test, water