Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Water Softener & Filling Tank

Does anyone know if running water thru the water softener while filling the fresh water tank accomplishes anything?

I ask as I am not sure if the water needs to sit in the softener for some length of time or if just passing thru (quickly) is sufficient. I have an 'On The Go' 8000 grain softener.

The next time I fill, I will test the hardness of the source and my tank but I forgot to test the source the last time I filled.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It doesn't have to sit. As long as it passes through the softener then it's good.
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Super! Thanks very much!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Generally speaking take 8000 grains and divide by water hardness and that is the maximum gallons you can soften " in theory". I would never run your softener completely hard as it will take extra salt to get it back to a full 8000 grains. Also the slower you run the water through the softener the more contact time you have with the softening resin which equals better softening. I hope I did not get to complicated.

Dan
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Does anyone know if running water thru the water softener while filling the fresh water tank accomplishes anything?

I ask as I am not sure if the water needs to sit in the softener for some length of time or if just passing thru (quickly) is sufficient. I have an 'On The Go' 8000 grain softener.

The next time I fill, I will test the hardness of the source and my tank but I forgot to test the source the last time I filled.
Water doesn't have to sit in the water softener to have hardness reduced. As long as the softener isn't in need of recharging, all the water has to do is pass through. It doesn't sit when you take a shower, so neither does it have to sit when filling your water tank.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

PAZ,

You have to remember that your shower head is probably 1 gallon per minute
flow rate hence filling the tank will get closer to 17.1 or less ppm hardness which is technically soft water.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:44 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
PAZ,

You have to remember that your shower head is probably 1 gallon per minute
flow rate hence filling the tank will get closer to 17.1 or less ppm hardness which is technically soft water.
If you're worried about lower softening efficiency at a high flow rate, just throttle back the faucet a little and fill the tank at a lower fill rate.

BTW, 17.1 ppm (1 grain/gal) is VERY soft water. I'm happy with anything below about 10 grains and don't usually recharge until it gets that high.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #8

PAZ
This is what I have been saying about slowing the fill rate down. Sorry to say but 10 grains is very hard water and NOT acceptable. If you can only get it down to 10 you need a lot larger softener. This is my last comment on this subject.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ok, given the responses, I now understanding that going thru the softener at any flow is better than nothing but a slower flow rate (within reason) will result in softer water.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input!

Tags
tank, water