Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

Weather Pro awning

My wind sensor is mounted to the arm and is undependable, rarely works. Dealer has replaced sensor and made sure i had the panel set and on correctly but sensor still rarely works. Dealer says system is undependable and that i should not rely on it. Anyone else agree with that explanation or have a solution.
Snapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #2

Can you tell me when it does work?

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

Steve thank you for responding. I am having problems manuvering here and it may take me awhile to respond. I have never seen it roll up in the wind, i have stood out and watched it in the wind till i was afraid of loosing it and then rolled it up. Somitimnes it will roll up in the evening as the sun is going down when we are in very cold tempretures but there is no wind. I casn take an air hose and blow hi pressure on the sensor and make the awning go up but it takes a lot of pressure.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

Did you review the manual on this component? The manual is easy to find online and there isn't much to it. I am assuming you have the sensitivity set as high as you can on the board and I am guessing it is rolling up at night as it is sensitive to low temperatures and is not to be used when the temperature gets very low. The roll up when temps drop is not related to the sensor issue.

Now to back up, it isn't working and even though I am not a big fan of automation because I am afraid folks become too dependent on it, it is not accurate to say none of them work. You took it to a dealer, they replaced the sensor and checked the board and then told you not to use it? What did you pay for?

Now let's think out loud. You can operate the awning reliably with the switch right? If you can, that means to me the voltage is likely adequate to run the motor. You have the wind sensor turned on at the control board, because if you did not, it would not work at all, even with very high air pressure, which you have demonstrated.

The fact that it will retract with very strong wind as you demonstrated also suggest the communication cable between the board and the sensor is intact.

Here is how you test the sensor according to the service manual I downloaded from Dometic.

"SECTION 2 Wind Sensor
2.1 The wind sensor monitors the wind speed (14-22 MPH) and sends a signal to the control box ifwind speeds exceeds the preset setting. The correct position of the winds sensor is critical. It should be within 3 feet of the right side top mounting bracket and away from other objects. To check out the wind sensor, open the awning and place the wind sensor switch in the ENABLE (ON) position. You can create sufficient amount of wind by placing a standard hair dryer approximately 6 inches away from the wind sensor with the dryer set on HIGH and NO HEAT. The awning should close automatically."

Do this test next and then we can talk further.

Steve
Old 12-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
paz

We used to have a Weather Pro with a wind sensor. It never did work right. Sometimes the awing would roll up in the slightest breeze, and other times wind gusts would be bouncing and flapping the awning all over the place and it never rolled up. We even replaced the sensor and controller, and it still didn't work.

We just got into the habit of never leaving the awning out in any noticeable wind. We also rolled up the awning any time we left the rig and at night even if the wind was perfectly calm.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapp View Post
. Anyone else agree with that explanation or have a solution.
Short answer: YES

Longer answer: I have the older "lighthouse" system.. I disabled it and use tie downs on the awning which has withstood some rather impressive winds.. OR. if not tied down then if high wind threatens it's rolled up (retracted) manually before high wind.

So far the only time I've had a problem was when a mountain hit it. and that turned out to be a solution.. but that's a long story.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

My thought here is the cable that connects the sensor and the controller looks like a telephone cable, but is not. I bet service folks are not checking that as it would be a real pain to change out. They can be problematic though.

Everyone changes the parts that are the easiest to get to. I understand the logic as I work on these things. The trouble is often the things easiest to do are not the problem.

Steve
Old 12-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

Steve thank you again,
The dealer did not charge me for changing the sensor, so i guess that wa good but i would have rather paid them and had it repaired. My sensor is mounted out at the end of the arm and is recessed in the arm channel whic makes me question how it senses the wind because it seems to be shielded from the wind to me. I have the control box set on 12 mph. which is the slowest wind speed setting. It may be a few weeks before i can do the hair drier test since our rv is at our lot most of the time. thank you.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of weather sensors are disabled by the owners of those units. I know mine is and has been from very nearly the beginning. It's the most unreliable system on my coach.

Tags
awning