Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Weird electrical issue

08 American Tradition. Sometimes when my rear A/C compressor kick is on, it makes a humming noise for a few seconds and the washer/dryer looses electrical current. Then the washer dryer will come back on a few minutes later. If I turn the A/C off, there are no issues. Any ideas?

TIA
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #2

Assuming 50 amp service and the two appliances in question are on the same leg of power , I have to ask questions .

Is this a new problem , or one you've been dealing with for a while ?

Has this been an issue at more than one RV park ?

Can you duplicate the condition when running the genset for power ?

Have you attempted any kind of diagnosis or repair?
Old 08-05-2022, 09:53 AM   #3

To add to Skip's good questions:

What is voltage (VAC) when this occurs?
Old 08-05-2022, 01:27 PM   #4

Wierd electrical issue

Right now i have the dryer on and the A/C. Showing 116 v and pulling 30A.

Yes it is a 50A hook up and it is a new to us coach. I have not tried testing it with the genny. Funny thing is it only happens as night. We can run all three A/Cs with no issue during the day, but when Zone 2 is running at night, it acts up.

I thought maybe the start capacitor was going bad since it seems to struggle sometimes at night, but I replaced it and it did not help.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #5

Look in your breaker panel and see if your Rear A/C and your washer/dryer are on the same breaker. Ours was on our '06 Dynasty, and what you are experiencing is one piece of the load management "system" design in your coach. On ours, the priority was for the washer/dryer. When both were on, both would operate until the current draw on the particular cycle on the washer/dryer would rise above a preset amount at which time it would open the power supply to the rear A/C. As soon as the current would drop below the threshold, the rear A/C would resume operation until the process repeated.

I suspect that your system is working as it was designed to work.

If your rear A/C and your washer dryer are NOT on the same circuit breaker, we need to go back and look further. Do let us know what you find.

Cheers and safe RV'ing.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Look in your breaker panel and see if your Rear A/C and your washer/dryer are on the same breaker. Ours was on our '06 Dynasty, and what you are experiencing is one piece of the load management "system" design in your coach. On ours, the priority was for the washer/dryer. When both were on, both would operate until the current draw on the particular cycle on the washer/dryer would rise above a preset amount at which time it would open the power supply to the rear A/C. As soon as the current would drop below the threshold, the rear A/C would resume operation until the process repeated.

I suspect that your system is working as it was designed to work.

If your rear A/C and your washer dryer are NOT on the same circuit breaker, we need to go back and look further. Do let us know what you find.

Cheers and safe RV'ing.

They are on different breakers. Last night with the A/C off, the washer lost power mid cycle. Then the power came back on. Then off again. So strange. This seems to happen only at night. Perhaps there are power fluctuations at the pole during the night. Again, during the day we can run all three A/Cs and the washer/dryer and my wife can use the hair dryer. The load is right at 50A and we have no issues.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your coach have a load shed energy management system? If it does, this could shed excessive load in low voltage conditions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Does your coach have a load shed energy management system? If it does, this could shed excessive load in low voltage conditions.

Ken

I believe it does. I flew out today so I will confirm on Tuesday. THe voltage has been reading 120 on both legs during the day. Not sure about the nights though.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #9

Ken, the standards in our state for our public utility power companies is 120 volts plus or minus 5%. So anything between 114 volts and 126 volts would be considered acceptable from the regulatory requirements standpoint, if that helps. I would not expect to see issues from any devices as long as supply voltages are in that range.

And I totally concur with what KE5DFR (aka Ken) added. In our coach the load management was done on the individual circuit, itself, as I described earlier. But in some coaches it is done at another level. In either case, the end goal is the same, and that is to manage loads to keep the demand within the capabilities of the supply source and the wiring and devices in the coach. I'm betting with Ken that you have some form of load management causing your A/C to do what it is doing. And if true, what you are experiencing is entirely normal in RV's such as yours.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #10

If the load management is acting normal, then why can I have 3 A/C’s, the dryer and a hair dryer on without issue. But at night i have only one A/C on and the system acts goofy? Seems like something is amiss.

TIA
Old 08-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #11

Wow, Ken, thanks for your update. I agree that it sounds strange. My car has a programmable button that can open the gate to our subdivision. It seems to work during the first part of the day but rarely works in the late afternoon or evening. It's been that way for months! Similar crazy deal! Is it my car's fault or the gate controller's fault? Pretty much the same sort of issue you are having. Is it your coach's fault or is it the park power supply's fault?

I'm a bit out of ideas why it would work for you some of the time but not at others. I guess at this point, depending on whether your are set up somewhat permanently in your spot or you are on the move, you may find the problem goes away on its own. I hope that's the case. But at the same time I hate it when problems "solve themselves", because they rarely do. I hope you do find resolution, and look forward to hearing what the problem turns out to be, if you do indeed identify it.

But I agree that if you can have all three A/C units actually running and have the clothes dryer actually running at the same time, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work that way all of the time, unless the electric energy provider or the parks electrical infrastructure has voltage issues. That really does sound like the only remains likely culprit. As long as your supply voltage is between about 114 and 126 volts, you really shouldn't see any operational anomalies occurring.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
If the load management is acting normal, then why can I have 3 A/C’s, the dryer and a hair dryer on without issue. But at night i have only one A/C on and the system acts goofy? Seems like something is amiss.

TIA
It depends on the capabilities of your EMS and the automatic appliances that are running. It also depends on which branch circuits combinations of appliances are connected too.

A 50 amp 240 volt shore power system is a little complicated. It has two hot legs and each one will allow a maximum of 50 amps. One leg can be overloaded and the other not. Next are individual branch circuits. Any branch circuit can be overloaded while others are not.

That said, circuit breakers protect all those circuits. However, circuit breakers require manual reset if they trip.

An energy management system also protects those circuits, but it will reset a circuit when the overload disappears. Some EMS systems are simpler than others. It all depends on the make and model of yours. Do you have a manual for the EMS system?

A/C draw more current when line voltage is low. Of course they draw a lot more current when the compressor is running and a lot less when the thermostat shuts it off.

Electric water heaters draw a lot of current when the heating element is turned "on" by the thermostat. Your washer may trigger the water heater when it fills with hot water. This may cause the washer and dryer to shut down until the water is hot again.

Energy management systems are programmed to prioritize some circuits over others. The strange behavior is probably due to all of these things interacting.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
My money would be on the power supply.

If everything is fine during the day and the "problem" only occurred during the night, it's got to be the power supply. Is there a huge solar farm nearby?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
It depends on the capabilities of your EMS and the automatic appliances that are running. It also depends on which branch circuits combinations of appliances are connected too.

A 50 amp 240 volt shore power system is a little complicated. It has two hot legs and each one will allow a maximum of 50 amps. One leg can be overloaded and the other not. Next are individual branch circuits. Any branch circuit can be overloaded while others are not.

That said, circuit breakers protect all those circuits. However, circuit breakers require manual reset if they trip.

An energy management system also protects those circuits, but it will reset a circuit when the overload disappears. Some EMS systems are simpler than others. It all depends on the make and model of yours. Do you have a manual for the EMS system?

A/C draw more current when line voltage is low. Of course they draw a lot more current when the compressor is running and a lot less when the thermostat shuts it off.

Electric water heaters draw a lot of current when the heating element is turned "on" by the thermostat. Your washer may trigger the water heater when it fills with hot water. This may cause the washer and dryer to shut down until the water is hot again.

Energy management systems are programmed to prioritize some circuits over others. The strange behavior is probably due to all of these things interacting.

Interesting. To clarify, the washer/dryer is not running when this happens. The washer automatically turns on when you plug it in. Once it has power, it will automatically turn off after a few minutes. So power is cutting off to the beaker at night, and then power returns to the breaker which turns on the washer/dryer. (It does not start up, it just turns on). Then the washer/dryer turns off automatically a few minutes later. This cycle happens a few times per night. So the EMS could very well be causing this. I will see if I can find the model and manual for it. We will be leaving parks in a week. Curious if this will continue.

Tags
electric, electrical