Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Weird GFI issue

I'm having a GFI issue and hoping someone can either confirm my suspicion or point me in the right direction.

I'm currently in a state park here in Oregon, All but 2 of the plugs in my trailer are connected to the GFI outlet in the bathroom. The AC is on, microwave works etc. But the GFI trips and will not reset while plugged into the pedestal. I originally thought the issue was something plugged into an outlet, after unplugging everything the problem persisted. I then went and unplugged the shore power and flipped on my inverter, and the GFI reset without issue. Plugging shore power back in results in the same tripping event.

Am I correct in my suspicion that the issue is in the campground pedestal? Any tips on whether it's something stupid I'm overlooking?

Thanks!!
RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe you are correct in suspecting the campground pedestal. It probably is a neutral or ground miswired.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe you are correct in suspecting the campground pedestal. It probably is a neutral or ground wired incorrectly.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I believe you are correct in suspecting the campground pedestal. It probably is a neutral or ground miswired.
I agree, use a multi-meter to check the pedestal
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-R.../dp/B01AKX8L0M
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #6

Sounds like you aren't using a good surge suppressor on your main from shore power. Recommendation is you get one ASAP so that you don't fry converter and/or other expensive items.
azmaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
"Sounds like you aren't using a good surge suppressor on your main from shore power. Recommendation is you get one ASAP so that you don't fry converter and/or other expensive items."

???? Ok, recommendation, however, you need to get one ASAP ? I have gone without a Surge for over 10 years. Using what Arch has recommended or just a meter. Even in mexico.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Actually he should really install one of THESE! Either a 30 or 50 amp unit.

If it is truly a neutral or ground fault this device would have identified the problem immediately.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:38 AM   #9

Back to the problem at hand, can you try another pedestal to see if the problem follows you.

If it happens at 2 different pedestals, I would look for an outside outlet on your rig, to see If water has damaged it. Another check would be unplugging the fridge.

If it's only at that pedestal, your at the mercy of the campgrounds maintance people to check it.

If you run out and get a surge guard thing and the problem is with the pedestal, you will still, just be sitting in the dark, waiting for campground maintance.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Or he can get the hell out of that campground and find another one that supplies good power for their customers to use!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:03 AM   #11

Or go home :( :( . Campgrounds are tough to find on weekends and it is labor day weekend.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #12

Just get a hold of a ranger........we do that all the time as hosts at Oregon State Parks....
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Yup, I have one of those with a 30 amp adapter. I test the pedestals before I plug into them, even though I have the Progressive EMS as well. It's cheap insurance to make sure the pedestal is not screwed up.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thought id post a follow up for anyone that might be interested. First I do plan to get something to go between us and the pedestal, just that the trailer is a recent purchase and the wife wanted to go now!

Anyway, I left my multimeter at home which means I was stuck on what I could do, so I went out with a flashlight and looked at the receptacle and noticed in the circular hole (ground) there was something in the hole, flipped the breaker off and started digging with a toothpick and pulled out what I believe was some kinda spider egg and several very thin pieces of wire. Think very fine copper stranded wire that had been separated into individual strands. Anyway pulling all of that out and then hooking back up the GFI reset fine after that.

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it!
RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote