Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

WFCO - Fan Running Continuously

Iím camping right now in 30 degree weather in my 22í Rpod TT. Thereís a vented box under the fridge with the letters WFCO on it. Itís blowing cold air and a fan is running continuously inside of it. Iím plugged into shore power. If I turn off the master switch for the interior lights the fan stops also. As soon as I turn the lights back on the fan starts up again.

What is the function of this box and the fan? Should the battery be running continuously?

Thanks!
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #2

Did some troubleshooting. Sounds like this is the converter. Not quite sure how it works but I gather it has something to do with converting the power from the pedestal for use in the camper. I have to confess - the electrical system is the one system in my camper I least understand.

I gather the fan comes on when the camper is drawing above a certain amount. To test that, I started turning off some lights, and lo and behold - the fan stopped.

I’m still not sure what the converter is doing and whether or not the fan running is a good thing or a sign the system is overloaded.

Since I didn’t need as many lights as I had on I’m leaving them off for the time being.

If someone can explain how this converter works that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Did some troubleshooting. Sounds like this is the converter. Not quite sure how it works but I gather it has something to do with converting the power from the pedestal for use in the camper. I have to confess - the electrical system is the one system in my camper I least understand.

I gather the fan comes on when the camper is drawing above a certain amount. To test that, I started turning off some lights, and lo and behold - the fan stopped.

Iím still not sure what the converter is doing and whether or not the fan running is a good thing or a sign the system is overloaded.

Since I didnít need as many lights as I had on Iím leaving them off for the time being.

If someone can explain how this converter works that would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds normal. It runs when a temp sensor in the converter reaches a predefined temp. It also will run for a very short cycle just a few seconds when you plug into shore power.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The WFCO is indeed your converter/charger.

WFCO's are adequate, but definitely not top of the line as far as converter/chargers go. Many manufacturers use them for the normal reason - they're cheap.

One of the issues that lots of folks have is that the cooling fan runs, a lot, and it's pretty noisy. In general it's normal and just something to be gotten used to. We had one in our previous coach, and the fan would run just about continuously. Any 12 volt device turned on in the coach would set it whirring. (Think lights, fridge control panel, vent fans, etc.) You can get it to play a tune by turning things on and off causing it to speed up and slow down with each change.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Sounds normal. It runs when a temp sensor in the converter reaches a predefined temp. It also will run for a very short cycle just a few seconds when you plug into shore power.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understand that the fan turns on when the temp sensor reaches a certain temp. Not sure, however, why it was running continuously for a couple of hours with outside temperatures so cold, until I shut off some lights?

Does that still sound like normal behavior?
Old 11-17-2021, 11:54 PM   #6

Fan is to keep converter cool due to heat from LOAD on it

On shore power your converter s supplying the DC System in your RV
Lights, Dc for Furnace, DC for water pump, DC for Fridge Circuit Board, DC for Radio, DC for LP Detector etc.
Anything/Everything that is DC powered
It also maintains battery voltage (charger section of converter)

*when not on Shore power the battery supplies the DC System

Fan running continuously is probably due to the LOAD on converter and heat being generated
Open the Panel and post model number for specific info
Example: WF-8735
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:15 AM   #7

It's normal for the fan to run when the converter/charger is dumping current into your batteries. Sometimes, however, this can happen if your trailer brake cable is loose or pulled, triggering the brakes to activate. That can draw a lot of current, too.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #8
YC1

If you have not done so, changing to led light bulbs will reduce the load tremendously and help keep that annoying noise down.

A weak battery can put/keep a load on it and have it running at its edge of capacity so turning on lights puts it into the heavy work load and turns on the fan.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Fan is to keep converter cool due to heat from LOAD on it

On shore power your converter s supplying the DC System in your RV
Lights, Dc for Furnace, DC for water pump, DC for Fridge Circuit Board, DC for Radio, DC for LP Detector etc.
Anything/Everything that is DC powered
It also maintains battery voltage (charger section of converter)

*when not on Shore power the battery supplies the DC System

Fan running continuously is probably due to the LOAD on converter and heat being generated
Open the Panel and post model number for specific info
Example: WF-8735
Thank you for that explanation, O-B! Model WF-8735P. Photo attached.

I understand that a heavy load will cause the fan to come on and thatís an appropriate response. I also understand that the converter will be used to charge the house battery from shore power if needed.

Just curious - an INVERTER converts DC to AC, and a CONVERTER converts AC to DC? Am I understanding that correctly?

I have all LED lights and my battery is currently removed. I couldnít figure out why eight LED lights would have made the converter fan run continuously, until I sheepishly realized I had a small space heater also plugged in last night.

Think I found my culprit? And if the space heater is causing the fan to run continuously, is it inappropriate to use the space heater in my TT? I touched the outlet where the space heater was plugged in to see if it was overheating and itís nice and cool. I used the space heater in the evening while awake, and the propane heater overnight while sleeping. It seemed safer that way, even before I noticed the fan running.

Interestingly enough, if I turn off three LED lights and keep the space heater running, the fan turns off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70A32A27-F760-4B95-BCB4-CB1074C97626.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	349204   Click image for larger version

Name:	080C9CBB-7944-4FE1-9950-C27913A37FF5.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	349205  

Old 11-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #10

Interesting. Just did some problem-solving to try to figure out why the converter is getting stressed enough for the fan to be running, especially in the cold temperatures I’m having in my area right now.

I turned off all my interior lights. Turned on the space heater. No fan.

Turned off and unplugged the space heater. Turned on all of the interior LED lights (8), and the fan goes on.

If I turn off three LED lights, leaving 5, The fan goes off.

Wondering what’s going on? I would think the converter should be able to handle eight LED lights. What do you think?

Again - no battery right now so that’s not it.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #11

Space heater is 120VAC plugged into an outlet...nothing to do with DC power/converter

As you mentioned Converter is AC to DC.....
Your WF-8735P is capable of handling 35A MAX DC Output
You have 6 DC circuits (5 Branch and 1 Battery---#6 is battery feed)

The on-board microprocessor increases fan speed as the total load increases and decreases fan speed as the load decreases.
Unlike traditional temperature-controlled fans, the load-controlled fan provides better component cooling by avoiding temperature spikes which
can lead to premature component failure.

Sounds like FAN is doing what it is designed to do...run based on load

Other than lights ON...what else do you have running?
Furnace? Bathroom Fan? Water Pump? ETC
**Turn on ALL Lights/converter fan starts running---then pull each fuse #1 & #3 thru #5 (leave #2 lights in)....does fan stop or continue to run with just lights???

Although these solid state converters do NOT require a battery to properly function........why do you NOT have a battery installed?
Old 11-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Space heater is 120VAC plugged into an outlet...nothing to do with DC power/converter

As you mentioned Converter is AC to DC.....
Your WF-8735P is capable of handling 35A MAX DC Output
You have 6 DC circuits (5 Branch and 1 Battery---#6 is battery feed)

The on-board microprocessor increases fan speed as the total load increases and decreases fan speed as the load decreases.
Unlike traditional temperature-controlled fans, the load-controlled fan provides better component cooling by avoiding temperature spikes which
can lead to premature component failure.

Sounds like FAN is doing what it is designed to do...run based on load

Other than lights ON...what else do you have running?
Furnace? Bathroom Fan? Water Pump? ETC
**Turn on ALL Lights/converter fan starts running---then pull each fuse #1 & #3 thru #5 (leave #2 lights in)....does fan stop or continue to run with just lights???

Although these solid state converters do NOT require a battery to properly function........why do you NOT have a battery installed?
My continuing thanks for the education youíve given me from this and other posts, my own and those of others. I understand my TT and its systems better because of you and Iím a more comfortable owner and user as a result and I travel more safely because of you. Iím slowly learning about my electrical system as well. Thatís been the hardest one. So now I understand that the space heater has nothing to do with the converter, since itís not a DC user. Got it!

Iím naturally very conservative with my electrical use. The only other electricity draws were my fridge and any parasitic devices - I believe. My TT is currently winterized so no water pump or water heater.

But what youíre saying by having me remove each fuse one at a time is to see if thereís something Iím not aware of thatís impacting the draw, in addition to the lights?

If this is a natural response of the converter - wonderful! But Iím still under warranty for a few more months so if itís something weird I want to be able to take care of it.

Reason for no battery is Iím in the process of installing a LiFePO battery and the wrong DC-DC charger was sent and Iím waiting for a replacement. New battery has been installed but switch turned to off until the new charger arrives. Ive been traveling and didnít want to risk any tow vehicle to battery charging problems - but that was another thread! ;-)
Old 11-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #13

But what you’re saying by having me remove each fuse one at a time is to see if there’s something I’m not aware of that’s impacting the draw, in addition to the lights?

YES...
8 LED lights should NOT cause high enough load/heat to cause fan to run continuously

Converter is rated for 475W/35A Max Load

With all lights on..pull the fuses and see if fan stops running
Fan is Load Based control vs temperature based control
But 8 LED lights should not be that high of a load
Old 11-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
But what youíre saying by having me remove each fuse one at a time is to see if thereís something Iím not aware of thatís impacting the draw, in addition to the lights?

YES...
8 LED lights should NOT cause high enough load/heat to cause fan to run continuously

Converter is rated for 475W/35A Max Load

With all lights on..pull the fuses and see if fan stops running
Fan is Load Based control vs temperature based control
But 8 LED lights should not be that high of a load
Right! That's what I'm figuring - 8 LED lights should not be a high enough load for the fan to run continuously.

Will pull those fuses over the next day or two and I'll be curious to see what happens.

Tags
fan