Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 11:59 PM   #1

What do these buttons do?

See attached pic. The buttons on the left (DRV DR 1, PSG DR 1, PSG DR2) are always UP. I can press and hold them DOWN, but they will click back UP upon release (spring inside I guess). Nothing happens when pressed. Driver door? Passenger door? Can't think of anything else (though there is only one door like many motorhomes)...

How do I operate the battery disconnect buttons? They are always in the middle position. I can press and hold them UP or DOWN, but nothing happens and they just go back to the middle.

Buttons on the right have no labels, just on and off. Nothing seems to happen when they are pressed ON or OFF.

All buttons are on the side of the stair way at the entrance door. My RV has no slides, no power awnings, and the leveling jack controls are elsewhere. Can't think of anything else it could be... Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	333523  
DarkVader is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 04:48 AM   #2

I guess I edit my posts too much, because it's no longer allowing me to edit the original post. Apologies, I forgot to mention it's a 1993 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. I've been asking a lot of questions lately and seemed to have forgotten to add this important detail in this post D:
Old 06-25-2021, 05:40 AM   #3

I'll take a swag - I'm guessing you have 2 basement doors on the passenger side and one on the driver side? Probably to unlock them?
Add your rig info to your signature - this appears at the bottom of every post you make (see my sig below my post) - add your signature by clicking on the "User CP" link on the upper teal bar, left end. Then look down the left side of the Control; Panel (CP) and locate Signature.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
I guess I edit my posts too much, because it's no longer allowing me to edit the original post. Apologies, I forgot to mention it's a 1993 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. I've been asking a lot of questions lately and seemed to have forgotten to add this important detail in this post D:
Unfortunately there is a limit on how much time you have to edit a post. I believe it's an hour, maybe longer.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I'll take a swag - I'm guessing you have 2 basement doors on the passenger side and one on the driver side? Probably to unlock them?
This has gotta be it! I noticed a few hours ago while looking at the locks, that there was a motor and electrical wire attached to some of them...and couldn't figure out why. That must be it! I'm betting they don't work anymore but I'll give it a shot. Weird that there is only one function for these buttons, either lock or unlock. Would be neat if it locked AND unlocked, depending on its current state. Thank you again.

Hopefully someone can provide insight on my other two questions
Old 06-25-2021, 06:17 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Unfortunately there is a limit on how much time you have to edit a post. I believe it's an hour, maybe longer.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #7

Both sets of buttons are "momentary," meaning that they sent a momentary current to some electrical device, probably a solenoid.

For the suspected door buttons, the locking mechanism at the door may be driven by a latching solenoid where each push of the button latches the door lock into either the "open" or "locked" position. You can test this theory easily.

For the battery disconnect, again a momentary switch that should be activating a latching solenoid somewhere near the battery compartment. You should be able to hear a distinct "clunk" when the button is pushed, somewhere in the coach.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Both sets of buttons are "momentary," meaning that they sent a momentary current to some electrical device, probably a solenoid.

For the suspected door buttons, the locking mechanism at the door may be driven by a latching solenoid where each push of the button latches the door lock into either the "open" or "locked" position. You can test this theory easily.

For the battery disconnect, again a momentary switch that should be activating a latching solenoid somewhere near the battery compartment. You should be able to hear a distinct "clunk" when the button is pushed, somewhere in the coach.
Makes sense, thanks!

The last two buttons will be a real tough one. Trying to follow the wires...but it ain't easy ; )
Old 06-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #9

The battery disconnect switches are up = on and down =off.. the switches are momentary.. the solenoid should make a loud thump when you press the sw.. you may have to press up and down a couple of times.. depending on wish position the solenoid was last in.. just follow the sound until you find them, and put your hands on them and get someone to keep flipping sw and then label chassis and coach.. both sw and solenoids . some of the other sw must be porch light, step light, and step function.. and compartment.. i ordered label zipties and then write nane.. but tape will work..this part is very important.. take a lot of cell phone picts.. and before you start messing with solenoids.. and take each wire off and then turn sw back on and find out what does not work.. then label that wire.. the connections get very corroded over time and need cleaning.. but take batt cables off 1st.. and p icts after you label.. good luck.. I have had mine diff. Md.. for 5 yrs still learning..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

When I press any of the lock and battery buttons...I don't hear anything. They are probably not working... not surprising...but I figured out one of the remaining on off switches was for the porch light. A fantastic ugly orange light. And the remaining one...is still a mystery...
Old 06-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #11

So just guessing but there is always a sw by door that controls the actions of the steps.. like if to go back up when you close the door.. or stay out when you close door.. most steps have a recess light way up under them.. you have to climb under and see if bulbs are bad ect.. now dis. Sw. They will have LG batt cables running to one side and small feed wires running to other side and they can be label chassis or coach.. they most likely mounted in eng compartment and near the batts.. many times each wire needs to be really cleaned with very good brushes and round brush to get into eyelets of each wire.. warning remove bat pos.cables at batt and unplug coach.. all electric must be dead.. not gen.. if you short something boom.. also.. it is very time consuming.. dealer would charge 5000.00 plus..so take your time.. maybe spread out over 3 or 6 days.. you must use cell phone to record where each wire goes.. use tape and zip ties to help you remember where each group of wires goes.. work on one side at a time.. the solenoid can be removed and taken apart and cleaned. Or just replace and save old ones to r&r later.. now you have to try and trouble shoot why they don't click where turned on or off.. good luck and let us know what you did..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #12

Show us pics of the locking/unlocking mechanisms on the basement doors.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
When I press any of the lock and battery buttons...I don't hear anything. They are probably not working... not surprising...but I figured out one of the remaining on off switches was for the porch light. A fantastic ugly orange light. And the remaining one...is still a mystery...
There is usually a security light (maybe 8-9" round" on the side or both of the coach. I have 4 on mine - 2 on each side and they are controlled from switches in different places in the coach.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.