Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #1

What is your swing temp?

Just did our first day of travel, heading south, (from NE PA to FL), with our new 12V, GE refrigerator. After having 3 rigs with absorption fridges, We are extremely happy with this one, right out of the gate!.

I noticed the compressor will kick on around 39 to 40° and turn off on whatever setting you turn it down to. My GE has one knob in the fridge portion, with settings of low-cool-coolest. I’ve turned it about 3/4 of the way down, (between cool & coolest), and it will go to 29°!, I found a sweet spot once I turned it back up a little, now it won’t go lower than 33°, which is perfect. We’ve been traveling in 40 to 56° weather, so I don’t know where it should be temperature wise, until we get to a warmer climate in a few days. I just wanted to see what other people have their settings on and if they change them depending on the climate. I would also like to know what swing temps anyone else has noticed?

Freezer portion seems to be between 0° and 12° I didn’t mention it above because now my Ice cream is as it should be!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I guess it depends on what refrigerator you have and the type of controls.

I installed a Samsung RF18, it has a digital display and I just set the temps I want. It has a default setting that I usually just let it go to. I don't seem to have to adjust. Last year I was in temps of ~20F to 100F and it just chugged along, dropping ice all day/night long. Really pleased with the change from the Norcold.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #3

My old Norcold has a 5 position slide switch that has never been moved. It was and has always been set in the 3rd position. Not sure what the swing is and I really don't care, as long as food stays cold. Changing outside ambient temperatures should not make thermostat changes necessary. I'd set it to my liking and forget it!
Old 11-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
Community Moderator

What is your swing temp?

Get one of these little thermometers to keep a check.

This is what is reads right now. This is a Maytag residential french door fridge. Current temp/high temp/low temp.

Somebody probably had the door open for awhile, to see the temp get up to 44…..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	381616
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the freezer if ice cream is not hard but soft enough to dig into. That's right.
For the frig, things are semi cold but yet nothing is getting mold buildup. Thats good enough.
I keep things a little warmer so the entire unit does not work as hard and lasts longer.
Old 11-28-2022, 06:22 AM   #6

Thanks y’all. I had to turn the temp down a little more last night. I noticed it went to 29°! Ice started building up on the inside of the fridge!

I do have a digital thermometer in the fridge only, it came with a remote unit, but it doesn’t hold high and low readings for the day like pasdaf1 has. I like that one better I’ll pick one up once we’re home.

But so far this is 12V refrigerator is far better than any of the 3 absorptions we have had over the years. Just wish they weren’t so darn expensive!
Old 11-28-2022, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Get one of these little thermometers to keep a check.

This is what is reads right now. This is a Maytag residential french door fridge. Current temp/high temp/low temp.

Somebody probably had the door open for awhile, to see the temp get up to 44…..

Attachment 381616
Do you have a link to purchase this thermometer ?
Old 11-28-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
Do you have a link to purchase this thermometer ?

Waterproof Refrigerator Fridge Thermometer, Digital Freezer Room Thermometer , Max/Min Record Function Large LCD Screen and Magnetic Back for Kitchen, Home, Restaurants (1 Pack)

https://a.co/d/hplZUHx
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote