Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
What refrigerator fan do you recommend?

I bought one of those litttle blue cube fans to blow the air up. It lasted less than one year, and won't run even with new batteries. So, I don't want another one.
What kind do you like best? I read that the ones that clip onto the fins are not recommended because it won't let the coils be an even temperature. I don't know if that is all that important. Do you?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just buy a new blue cube one every few years...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Community Administrator

We use two cubes. Have had them both for years. We take out the batteries when not in use.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

I run a clip on, works for me.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

13 years on the same blue cube.

WD-40 about once per year
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is the last fan you'll need. It works bette than all the others. Dometic Refrigerator Fan w on Off Switch to Increase Cooling Standard Model | eBay You can buy a Norcold model too....it's just how they're wired.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Had two blue cubes for about 6 years, still working.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Has anyone did any actual testing to see how much of a difference there is between the 2 types of fans and no fan?
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9

I bought a 12v fan that connects to the inside light, and clips on to the fins. We were having a problem with the Dometic especially in the summer with temps at 40 and above. Now it stays at 34 no matter what the temp is outside. Got it off E-bay. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it is sure worth it.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Here is the last fan you'll need. It works bette than all the others. Dometic Refrigerator Fan w on Off Switch to Increase Cooling Standard Model | eBay You can buy a Norcold model too....it's just how they're wired.
I run one similar to this with no ice buildup at all. We're fulltime and yes it does make a huge difference. I'm also running five computer fans in the "chimney" area in the roof with a switch for those hot days and makes about 12degrees difference in about a hour on the inside of fridge. There's a lot of info on the subject.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We tried the above product and the first time my DW put a plastic container in the refer she contacted the fans with the container. The fan blades broke off and that was the end of that fan. There are no guards over the blades. Easy to break....Just my observation on this fan system..Good luck.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ours is on second RV and over 30,000 miles. No more defrosting, more even temperature distribution and no batteries!
Couple of service notes:
Fan bearings will eventually start squealing - remove label from center of fan to expose bearing - add one drop of oil and let it set overnight with hole pointed up.
Fan held to fins by alligator clip and will fall off on rough roads - replace with a medium size binder clip attached to fan housing and it will stay where you put it.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Add another user to the group. We use two of the fans and they keep all the frost off the fins and circulate the air throughout the fridge. One of the best things you can add.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We also have the refer fan that clips to the fins. I read about it here on a post a few years ago. A great idea that was passed on to us. If you do a search you will find much about refer fans.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, refrigerator