Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
What type of plastic pipe/fittings are these?

I don't know if they're PEX or some other brand--?

These fittings in the pics are the main lines to/from the water heater. My problem area is at the water tank fill area, which I can't get to at the moment, but it's the same stuff. Somehow the 'tank fill/city water' diverter valve, and/or the plumbing connected to it, froze and split (I'm guessing). Just found this out over the weekend. With the valve in 'city water' position the water pump pushes water out of the valve, or pipes (couldn't tell which), and with the valve in the 'tank' position, the leaking stops, but the pump sucks air. City water connected just plain leaks...

Anyway, fixing the problem should be easy enough but I'm not sure what tools I'm going to need, and I'm not sure how to go about removing the old pipe short of sawing thru the black crimping. Is there some sort of metal sleeve under the black crimping?

I have some PEX tools, but they won't work on this stuff!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	px1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	814.9 KB
ID:	343683   Click image for larger version

Name:	px2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	777.4 KB
ID:	343684  

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
This video by a supplier seems to answer your question.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-...xoCH-UQAvD_BwE
Old 09-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #3

They are pex fittings with the bands. I use crimp rings and others use bands. The fitting is typically brass and barbed. The fittings are held in the pipe with a crimp ring or a band (like pictured).
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

Difficult to cut the ring w/o damaging the tubing but if careful you can salvage the fitting & just replace tubing & crimp. No problem mixing crimp bands with rings as long as they are done properly. There are also push in fittings that are removable and don't require the crimp bands or rings.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #5

1st picture
Blue line valve is cold inlet to water heater
Red line valve is hot outlet to water heater
Red/Blue valve is water heater Bypass

2nd picture
Water heater Bypass

Is the leak at/around the valve in second picture??

Whether on city water or pump those lines would be under pressure

City water/Fill shouldn't cause pump to suck air

????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1st picture
Blue line valve is cold inlet to water heater
Red line valve is hot outlet to water heater
Red/Blue valve is water heater Bypass

2nd picture
Water heater Bypass

Is the leak at/around the valve in second picture??

Whether on city water or pump those lines would be under pressure

City water/Fill shouldn't cause pump to suck air

????
The pics I took aren't of the 'bad' area, none of these fittings are leaking, but as you can see the bypass valves DO leak, but only when they're not fully open or closed... anyway, this was the only place I had access to take pics to show the type of plumbing

The bad fittings are on the bulkhead wall between the water tank and water fill/holding tank area. The rig is parked where I can't get access until I move the thing, which will be this afternoon. As to the valve sucking air, not sure how or why but it definitely is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	px3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	343763  
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
The pics I took aren't of the 'bad' area, none of these fittings are leaking, but as you can see the bypass valves DO leak, but only when they're not fully open or closed...

The leaking you show on those valves is pretty common. I have a couple of valves in my S&B that have done this. Problem is the packing along the valve stem has dried up and allows the leak. You can take off the handle, remove the cap and then pull out the old packing and put in new packing which should be available at any hardware store. In that they only leak while partly open or closed, it may not be worth the effort.