Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #15

Another test with the new batteries. Looks like around 8 hrs or so they run down to 12-11.9 so that's when I've been starting the Gen. Might need to up the charge rate on the renogy cuz it seems like alot of gen time to get these batteries back to full
Sasq40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
According to my meter I have alot of time left, according to voltage not so much lol. these batteries are getting replaced when I get home, do figured run em hard to see what I use Attachment 366325

Sorry, your meter is misleading you.

A good idea to confirm actual voltage at the battery. But NO WAY 11.5 VDC is anything but a deeply discharged battery bank. Do not trust that readout!

And, as others have suggested, think of your batteries as "12 VDC batteries in two parts"/ 2 6 VDC batteries wired in series= 12 VDC battery.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #17

Yeah those were toast at that point. They are Costco deep cycle so I was wanting to swap, em out the next weekend anyways. My invertor is set to be charging at 5a but has a maximum of 65a. What's a good spot to set it at?
Old 05-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Yeah those were toast at that point. They are Costco deep cycle so I was wanting to swap, em out the next weekend anyways. My invertor is set to be charging at 5a but has a maximum of 65a. What's a good spot to set it at?
With flooded batteries, youíll want to charge at .1C, or 10% of the rated capacity. If you have a 200aH battery, thatís 20A. AGMís can be charged at a higher rate, perhaps .2C. Check the manufacturer specs to be certain.

This brings up the matter of charging a battery that is at 50% SOC for an hour or two, as some have suggested. Partially charging wet cells can have a detrimental impact on the longevity of the battery. At 50% SOC, youíre looking at a minimum of 6 hours of generator run time to get anywhere near a fully charged battery. Solar panels are a great way to complete the charge.

Also keep in mind that the ďtime remainingĒ is just a simple calculation based on the existing SOC and the load at that moment. Turn a few things on, and that figure will change dramatically. What provides more accurate information is a measurement of Ahís used.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:39 AM   #19

K I'll jump it up a bit more. So much conflicting info out there. One article stated 20% of ah, according to that would be 40a. I got solar panels on the way, will be fun mounting and running xvake for that
Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #20

Quote:
My invertor is set to be charging at 5a but has a maximum of 65a. What's a good spot to set it at?

5 amp charge setting is just fine for maintenance of the battery bank or if on shore power for overnight or longer. That is 5 amps of 120 VAC which will give close to 50 amp charge rate to the batteries.

If you are running the generator to recharge the batteries, up that to the max for faster battery charging.

As a reality check, once charge voltage while charging is over 14 VDC, charge rate will decrease (less amps) and your power share/power save setting is less material.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #21

A higher charge rate also translates into more heat in the batteries which increases the possibility of excessive water usage or damage to the batteries if it reaches a high enough value for an extended period of time, especially as it relates to flooded batteries. Check your battery manufactures recommended rate of charge based off the size of your battery bank since that value is based off of comprehensive testing to extend the batteries life.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #22

Quote:
K I'll jump it up a bit more. So much conflicting info out there. One article stated 20% of ah, according to that would be 40a. I got solar panels on the way, will be fun mounting and running xvake for that
There will be no conflicting information if you follow the guidance provided by the manufacturer of the batteries that you are charging. Expert internet opinions and random articles may not be appropriate to your situation.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
5 amp charge setting is just fine for maintenance of the battery bank or if on shore power for overnight or longer. That is 5 amps of 120 VAC which will give close to 50 amp charge rate to the batteries.

If you are running the generator to recharge the batteries, up that to the max for faster battery charging.

As a reality check, once charge voltage while charging is over 14 VDC, charge rate will decrease (less amps) and your power share/power save setting is less material.
I have yet to see an inverter charger that you set the incoming 120V A for charging...
Magnum and others that have adjustable charge settings are for the max 12V charge going to the batty bank. 20A setting = 20A 12V to the batty bank.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
There will be no conflicting information if you follow the guidance provided by the manufacturer of the batteries that you are charging. Expert internet opinions and random articles may not be appropriate to your situation.
I looked and couldn't even find a email to ask Costco what the suggested charging voltage is.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have yet to see an inverter charger that you set the incoming 120V A for charging...
Magnum and others that have adjustable charge settings are for the max 12V charge going to the batty bank. 20A setting = 20A 12V to the batty bank.

From page 5 of this Xantrex manual.

Yes the "power sharing feature" limits the amount of 120 VAC that can be used for charging:

https://www.xantrex.com/documents/In...-01_rev-2).pdf

Power Sharing
When connected to an external AC
source the battery charger and transfer
functions are engaged. A unique Power
Sharing feature automatically reduces the AC
power consumption of the battery charger
allowing necessary AC power to go to the load.
This prevents the source AC INPUT circuit
breaker from tripping within the specified rating
of the AC circuit breaker.
The Power Sharing set point of each unit
has a factory default setting of 30 amps. This
can be changed using the Remote Control
Panel or Link Instrumentation.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
From page 5 of this Xantrex manual.

Yes the "power sharing feature" limits the amount of 120 VAC that can be used for charging:

https://www.xantrex.com/documents/In...-01_rev-2).pdf

Power Sharing
When connected to an external AC
source the battery charger and transfer
functions are engaged. A unique Power
Sharing feature automatically reduces the AC
power consumption of the battery charger
allowing necessary AC power to go to the load.
This prevents the source AC INPUT circuit
breaker from tripping within the specified rating
of the AC circuit breaker.
The Power Sharing set point of each unit
has a factory default setting of 30 amps. This
can be changed using the Remote Control
Panel or Link Instrumentation.
That is a very different feature than the DESIRED charging A for a given batty bank. Yes that will cut back inlet power IF BUT ONLY IF /WHEN the available shore power isn't sufficient to power everything connected and it throttles usage based on priorities. If you rely on that and don't set thev12V charging A correctly you can be over charged most of the time and only throttling A when you have other high A demands.
Very different settings.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:08 PM   #27

Quote:
I looked and couldn't even find a email to ask Costco what the suggested charging voltage is.
Costco sells Interstate batteries, they donít manufacture batteries. Youíll have to gather that information from Interstate. I wouldnít trust an email response or an answer from the battery guy at Costco as far as I could throw a GC2.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:23 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like to keep my batteries above 60% SOC, which is about 12.2V at 70 degrees. I use 12.25V as my storage recharge point for long storage. I will charge the batteries for 24 hours when they hit that point.

I like to have at least 36 hours of battery for my worst case. If I have poor sun. I run the gen at dinner for about one hour and maybe breakfast I run for an hour and use the electric coffee pot. When I run the generator I force the progressive converter using the wizard to stay in bulk mode for faster charging.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote