Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What's the diff between MicroAir easy start and hard start capacitor for A/C

In an earlier post I asked about the MicroAir Easy Start soft start capacitor for the A/C. Now I've come across folks talking about a hard start capacitor that appears to do the same thing. One thing that is different is that the hard start capacitor is about $100 less and it appears to be much easier to install.

Question is what are the pros and cons of the two devices?
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #2

Kind of interested in this topic as well. I have installed a hard start $10 cap before. And it helped, a little. But it did seem that the overall usage of current at start was nearly as much.
The soft starts seem like the ticket but they are much more spendy. Around $300.
I am almost always on generator power when in the rv. The onboard unit will run both air cons, but the portable only one at a time. It is only slightly smaller in output. Looking for a little extra help getting the second one started.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #3

Guess this topic isn't going to get much interest.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Guess this topic isn't going to get much interest.
A hard start cap uses brute force to start the motor. The Micro Air uses a microprocessor to apply just the needed energy to reliably start the compressor. I researched the options and went with potential start relays. They use brute force until the compressor is up to speed. My link.... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/dome...ml#post3514577
spyderRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #5

I have a 30' class "C" with a Coleman 13.5. Boondock often in summer and winter. Tried using my Honda 2000i with a hard start kit did not work. Installed the Easy Start, board & following the start-restart procedure I was amazed that Lil Red (the Honda) handled the load very well. In ECO mode when the A/C came on, first the fan started causing the gen to rev up from idle to full power 1 to 2 seconds later, the compressor would start and run. Within 2 seconds "Lil Red" would reduce revs from full power to about 70% of max rpm. Thus saving gas and noise. I usually put the fridge & water heater in gas mode. Sometimes I kick off the converter to further save load.

The on-board Onan is noisy and needs .5 to .75 gallons of gas per hour (Appox 12 to 14 Gal per day). Lil Red only uses 2.5 to 3 gallons per 24 hour period of continuous operation in the Florida heat. Usually I will run the Honda for 48 (ish) hours straight then change the oil for the next 48 hours. (Takes about 15 oz of Mobile 1, 30wt)

All that was to say the Micro Aire was a great addition to my RV and I will do it again on my next MH. Highly Recommend. If you are a real DIY purchase the board and build a box to install.
Cheers!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Saw a video of a hard start capacitor compared to a MicroAir easy start on a 16000 BTU A/C and the hard start dropped the initial amp draw from 54 to 51 amps. The MicroAir easy start dropped the initial amp draw from 54 to 17 amps. You get what you pay for in this case.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

EasyStart 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter

I tried the Supco hard start kit. While it did help, when it got really hot it just wasn't enough and would trip my Yamaha 2400IS.
I installed the EasyStart 364 110 volt RV version and all i can say is they work very well. I'm not kidding, my generator hardly makes a complaint when the AC compressor starts.

They cost 299.00 but if you type AIRSTREAM in the coupon code, you receive 40 dollars off.
If you camp off grid a lot, this is what you need.

msmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmorrell View Post
I tried the Supco hard start kit. While it did help, when it got really hot it just wasn't enough and would trip my Yamaha 2400IS.
I installed the EasyStart 364 110 volt RV version and all i can say is they work very well. I'm not kidding, my generator hardly makes a complaint when the AC compressor starts.

They cost 299.00 but if you type AIRSTREAM in the coupon code, you receive 40 dollars off.
If you camp off grid a lot, this is what you need.

Where is that coupon code good for?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

Click herehttps://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267
msmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

Well, ok. I never do this. But I ordered a Micro Air unit, and man I gotta say that is a lot better deal than the hard start caps. I wish I knew what it actually does. But they say it learns during the first 5 starts and tailors the start to what the unit wants. My AC starts right up without complaint now. We will see how restarts after a longer run go. But right now my generator loves it. no drama startups.

Tags
air