Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #1

when is black tank really full??

we have a 2008 Southwind 36D with 2 sealand vacuum assist toilets. How can you tell when the black tank is really full? the tank sensors do not appear to be very accurate (surprise). Does anyone know how these toilets react when the black tank is "very" near full? WE do a lot of boondocking and the senors "rush" to 2/3 full very quickly and just seem to hold there for as many days as it took it to read 2/3 full...we've never had the system shut down, but would really like to know how close to full we can get or how long we can boondock before having to move the M/H to find a dump station.
lp5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Bounder floor plan is similar although my forward toilet is not vacuum assist. Anyway, my forward toilet drops straight into the black tank so if it fills up I would see it there first. One of your toilets must be directly over or closest to the black tank. Find out which one and keep your eye on it I guess.
ljr869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Unfortunately, lp5151's toilet design will not allow him to physically view the tank level through the bottom of the toilet.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest a bit of after market technology by Garnet

SeeLeveL RV Gauges by Garnet Technologies Inc.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, the SeeLevel would be the ticket, if you want accuracy and dependability in tank levels.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #6

good luck
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your black tank is really full when you flush the toilet and the "contents" basically sit there. It's not disastrous and there's no mess. It's just full. Nothing to be afraid of. We are full-timers that boondock frequently. There are usually two clues that indicate that our black tank is getting close to full. The first is a noticeable increase in unpleasant odors coming from the tank when its flushed (especially if the bathroom ceiling vent is open). The second clue is the sound the toilet makes when its flushed. When your tank is almost full, you'll notice that its quieter when you flush since the contents are not falling as far (into the tank). In other words, you'll notice that the flush is weaker.

If you have a common valve installed on your RV's wastewater system (from a flushing device like a Flush King), you can always use some extra space in your gray water tank to hold some of the excess black water. In other words, assuming you have a third gate valve that's closed, simply open both your black and gray water tank valves. Your system will then equalize and water from the tank that's more full will flow into the tank that's less full. Since you're basically robbing Paul to pay Peter, it's not something you want to do all the time but its a quick and easy way to buy a little time.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was flushing out our black tank once, and walked off to talk to my neighbor. He pointed out to me that my tank was full...it was coming out of the pipe vent on my roof. I got it cleaned up before my DW got home.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote