Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

When you are hooked up to power and sewer line

Hi I have a couple questions about when you are hooked up to power into a sewer line for an extended period!
1. When hooked up to power do you run your refrigerator on AC or on propane?
2. When hooked up to a sewer line I have seen videos saying that you shouldn't have your gray tank and black tank open to the sewer line. Is this correct?
2004 CrossRoads
CT28FB
Red7654
red7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

1. A/C
2. Closed, open only to drain.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
1. A/C
2. Closed, open only to drain.
X2
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

120 volt for the fridge .

Black and grey closed till draining required .
And ! after draining the black and closing the valve , flush three full bowls of water into the black tank ; to keep " stuff " from sticking to the bottom of the tank.
Dump black first , then grey , using the grey water to rinse the sewer hose .

Grey valve closed , or the entire park sewer system can vent through your gray tank and RV roof vents.
Some will say to , have a drop in your sewer hose to form a " P trap " , not allowed in most parks , and gives a spill potential , should someone or thing trip on the hose.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #5

Fridge on AC, electric is free in most campgrounds.

Gray open, black closed, now that I have a macerator pump.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by red7654 View Post
Hi I have a couple questions about when you are hooked up to power into a sewer line for an extended period!
2. When hooked up to a sewer line I have seen videos saying that you shouldn't have your gray tank and black tank open to the sewer line. Is this correct?
2004 CrossRoads
CT28FB
Red7654

Either method will work.

1. We usually run our refrig on elec but have used propane for long stays also.
2. As full timers, we leave both gray and black tank valves open and have done so for 8+ years now, and it works for us and many others. So again both methods will work. For a side note, we do limit the amount of toilet paper that gets flushed down into the toilet. It's not a issue for us and it beats dumping the valves on a regular basis. So you have a choice, either put the TP into a waste basket or dump your valves regularly.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
2004 CrossRoads
CT28FB
Red7654
We leave our MH connected to AC power when we are at home. We don't leave the fridge on, just firing it up the day before we are to leave on a trip.

When we're at a CG connected to sewer we leave the black tank valve off until it is at least 3/4 full. We leave the gray tank valve open until the night before we plan to dump the black tank. That way, we have enough gray water to flush the sewer hose. I do leave a "trap" in the sewer hose to prevent anything from the sewer system from getting into the tank!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
X2
although we no longer have an RV fridge we always chose to run the fridge on AC power when it was available rather than LP. we wanted to conserve the LP as much as possible. and when in camp the dump valves to both gray and black stay closed until ready to dump.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
although we no longer have an RV fridge we always chose to run the fridge on AC power when it was available rather than LP. we wanted to conserve the LP as much as possible. and when in camp the dump valves to both gray and black stay closed until ready to dump.
You just saved me some typing
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Either method will work.

1. We usually run our refrig on elec but have used propane for long stays also.
2. As full timers, we leave both gray and black tank valves open and have done so for 8+ years now, and it works for us and many others. So again both methods will work. For a side note, we do limit the amount of toilet paper that gets flushed down into the toilet. It's not a issue for us and it beats dumping the valves on a regular basis. So you have a choice, either put the TP into a waste basket or dump your valves regularly.
What do you mean dump your valves regularly?
Are you sayIng dump the tanks regularly?
Thanks
red7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
What do you mean dump your valves regularly?
Are you sayIng dump the tanks regularly?
Thanks

Yes, if you choose the closed tank valve method (most popular), you will need to dump the tanks or open your waste valves on a regular basis, usually every 4-6 days.
Note - I should have said "opening the valves to dump the tanks", in post# 6.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually the frig is set to Auto. So it will switch to shore power when present and propane as we depart. As for teh sewer it depends how long we'll be staying. Frequently we are only passing through. SO I hook up the hose and open the valves just prior to departure. If we are staying for a few days or longer I will leave the black valve closed and gray open so we can use all the water we want. Then the night prior to departure I'll close the gray valve to build up enough to flush the hose.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Usually the frig is set to Auto. So it will switch to shore power when present and propane as we depart.
In most cases that is a good plan.

Depending on if there is an inverter and how it is wired it may not "auto" switch over to LP.

I use to run my last RV on auto. In the new RV my fridge is powered by my inverter so I have to remember to manually switch when not on a shoreline. I will typically stay on LP unless we are going to be on shoreline for at least 48hrs.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #14

Full hookup site
Fridge/water heater on Electric

Dump valves closed
Waste tanks drain by gravity
Open valves allows liquids to trickle out as you use sinks/shower/flush toilet
Even look down the hole in a Outhouse/Pit toilet.....POOP mounded up and liquids flow away from the pile

Waiting until waste tanks are nearly full..then open dump valves
WHOOSH affect!

A high volume fast flowing river will move boulders
A small volume slow moving creek can barely move a pebble

Black tank with Poop/TP needs a WHOSH Affect
Grey tank with grease/oils/food debris/sloughed skin cells/soap scum etc not only can stink worst then Black but will benefit from the WHOSH Affect also

I prefer to put TP down the Toilet where the poop goes so I leave Black/Grey dump valve closed until full (takes about a week) then WHOOSH ....down and out---done

I hookup sewer line...dump...rinse///stow sewer line
Don't want it laying out there all week/2 weeks long. Birds pecking holes in it, CG Staff poking holes using weed whackers, fellow campers next door having to see it laying out there/tripping over it.

Personal preference.......ro each their own
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power