Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Which water pressure regulator?

We bought a pre-owned 2002 Fleetwood Southwind 37U. I read we should use a water pressure regulator to protect the mh plumbing. I looked at Campers World and saw a range of options. I passed on the cheapest plastic ones and looked at a step up which were brass inline. They had ones that were put out 45-50 and then some that put out 55-60 that also had warnings regarding older RVs. So I bought the 45-50. Well water flow is horrible after installing it. I have subsequently read a bit on the interaction of pressure and flow and the fact that the inline regulators us flow restriction to accomplish the pressure drop. So, I wanted to get thoughts on a couple of options I'm looking at before I go buy one. One is a Valterra adjustable regulator made for an RV and other is a Watts bell valve made for a house which might have adapters to connect to the RV.

Thanks for any guidance!

Michael
mikaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

Here's the Watts.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

So, the pics don't seem to be showing up. here are links.

Adjustable Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1117VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Watts 1 in. Lead-Free Brass FPT x FPT Pressure Reducing Valve-LFN45BU1 M1-1 - The Home Depot
Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

BTW, I see a general consensus that 60 or so should be fine.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Most of the low cost regulators are only good for 2 gpm when new and quickly drop to 1 gpm. The Watts and now the new Valterra regulator listed above have flow rates of 3-5 gpm. For a persective, 2.5 gpm is the feeling of a household shower.

Of course you can add other restrictions to impede water flow. FV filers are often only rated at 1-2 gpm.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
Community Moderator

i am using the same one as you are using - camco 45-50 psi brass (bought from walmart). it's slower than the onboard water pump, i can live with it until find one close to the water pump flow.
the valterra adjustable regulator looks good as it starts at 45psi and can be adjusted up. i might go with this.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

Pressure Regulators

I personally recommend the Watts brand or pressure reducers. I would pay extra for the stainless steel hardware. Also, I recommend that you have a gauge prior to the regulator, and adjust flow to 50-55 pounds. That is, while the outside shower is running, for example, the flow pressure should be adjusted.

I also suggest you put a petcock valve to turn on/off the water flow to the pressure gauge, so that it holds up. I have a Watts pressure reducer in front of three cartridge filters, the first for sediment, the second filter is charcoal, for taste, and then I have a third filter with food grade phosphate, which prevents scale buildup in the pipes, and the water heater. Once I hook up, open the outside shower, adjust flow to 50-55, tighten the set screw, and your done. 2 minutes.

Here is great source RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the Fairview pressure regulator with added pressure gauge from RV Water Filter Store. The Fairview regulator is set to 55PSI, which to me is ideal, and gives you full throughput from the spigot! In the link below the regulator is the first item and the pressure gauge is the 11th item down. Each is $24.95.

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I also have the brass Camco 45-50 psi from Walmart. Works fine as far as I'm concerned.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #10

Recently switched from the brass fixed inline to the adjustable. What a change. Shower is now enjoyable. Set ours at 55 lbs.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
valterra or watts. Adjustable. With a gauge. Stainless is a plus.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With one possible exception the correct answer is "NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT"

Valterra makes an adjustable unit that I have not personally tested. Others, who's opinion I tend to respect, tell me it is a good one.. But as I said I have not personally tested.

I have tested the cylinderical ones both standard and HIGH flow brass or plastic and my true opinion of them would solicate either a moderator edit or a "Demerit" and for very good reason. So I'll give you the light weight opinion.. JUNK 100% JUNK. and leave it at that.

(For full opinion imagine about 30 minutes of deleted expletives. See why the moderators would have to edit?).

I have tested both Watts and Zurin "Whole house' Type.. the ones I used were 3/4 inch. (Turns out that they are cheaper than 1/2 inch) these units have a two part housing On the Watts a ring of screws hold the two parts together, on the Zurin the top screws onto the bottom.

On both the top is Bell shaped, with a bolt sticking out the top of the bell.. this is the pressure adjustment.

Both can be rebuilt when they age and start working poorly.

On the standard scale of 10 I give them a 10 when new.. As they age they drop off till you rebuild them.

What is a 10? I hook it up, adjust for 50 PSI then turn on the outside shower (Easier than the inside one) and read the pressure gauge. 49-50 is a 10, 5 is ... See "JUNK" above, (a 1).

Sur-FLo.. This is the make of the most common factgory installed regulator (I will explain why you might not want one)_ also makes an inline.. which is the exazct same identical Regulator with a male hose fitting screwed on the outlet.. I give it a 9..I consider it good enough, WHEN NEW.. but like the Watts (Sur-Flo is a Watts corporation) and a ZURIN as it ages it starts restricting flow.. And I believe it can be rebuilt though I've not yet searched for a kit on any of them.

But those Cylinder shaped ones from CW or _____ are junk.

NOTE: Some CW's have a manager's offer that is a small Watts complete with the hose adapters, some assemble them some just put 'em all in a bag... I'vb enot tested that model but others say it's decent... The SMALLEST Watts regulator is too small. The 2nd smallest is the minimum I'd put in.

Regulators belong on the PARK end of the fresh hose.. one CG I stay at has recorded pressures well over 100 PSI and that is enough to blow the ends off many fresh water hoses.. So you need the regulator first thing in line. Though if you use an inline filter (which should be very close to the coach or in my case lying inside the wet bay out of the sun) you may want a 2nd regulator after the filter.. Set that one on 50 PSI set the park end of the hose at around 60 or 70.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #13

Thanks for all the input. I'm trying the Valterra. Once I installed it and set it to 60, the flow inside seems pretty close to when was connected with no regulator. Also, appreciate the link to rvwaterfilterstore.com. We currently have an inline filter installed (does contain KDF though we are full timing so stagnation is not an issue.) But it is already close to replacement time and I was starting to research better options.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #14

Of the two regulators I prefer the Watts to the Valterra however do not get the Watts disigned and sized for just a drinking fountain or ice maker. The inline flow restrictors aren't worth bothering with.

Tags
water, water pressure