Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 AM   #29

Portable. When I bought mine I had a TT and the protector failed on the 3rd trip halfway through the camping trip. If it was hard wired it would have been tough to bypass.

Now I have it setup in the bay and it's easy to bypass if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-21 15.17.22.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	213564  
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #30

Here’s a page comparing the various products from Progressive Industries. If you opt for a portable unit, pay attention to the Joule ratings as they can differ.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net...ed-comparisons
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #31
rb2

I modified the connection cover on my portable unit which has a spot for a padlock. Locked power cord and ems together and leave them that way. Only one plug to plug in and it's secured. Also protects the coupling from weather.
rb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
If you are comfortable doing the wiring of a hardwire I would go that route. If you need to pay someone to do it go portable.

I used a portable for awhile on my C. Used a bike cable to secure it under the conduit to the power pole box or through the hasp on the breaker box. Use your imagination. Also covered it with a garbage bag to kinda hide it and reduce water intrusion even though they are to be water tight.

You can also run a cord to the portable and keep it in a compartment. One idea I kicked around was just putting the portable in the compartment, cutting my cord leaving a few feet, using my cord for the extension and putting a new end on it, and putting a new end on the stub to plug into to EMS.

Never did it, traded it in, problem solved.
Note the warranty requirements. You must have the unit installed by a qualified RV shop or the warranty is voided. Read the fine print.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
Note the warranty requirements. You must have the unit installed by a qualified RV shop or the warranty is voided. Read the fine print.

Here’s the fine print for the PI warranty:
The follow are excluded and not covered by the Lifetime Warranty and/or void the Lifetime Warranty:
Improper installation of a hard wired unit. We strongly recommend that a competent electrical
professional perform the installation of hard wired units.

It is perfectly okay for the owner to install their unit.
Here’s the link to the warranty in case someone would like to read the entire document : http://www.progressiveindustries.net/warranty
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #34

We bought a PI 50 amp EMS. I looked at portable and hardwired, and decided I didn't want to do the hardwiring work. I would also have had to run wires through the wall, to put the display where I wanted it.
I have a cable lock for the EMS, but I only lock it about half the time.
OlJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We had a hard wired one. It failed. That left us in the Orlando heat with out anyway to bypass it. It required a mobile RV tech to remove it and tie the wiring back together so that we would have power again. We replaced it with a portable unit after some tours discussions with progressive industries. Not everyone has an easy path with them when there’s a problem. But they did come through for us in the end but it was with a lot of moaning and groaning on their part to stand by their warranty..
Each has advantages, but we only use hardwired... Always in place, never the situation: only hooking up for a moment so why take out portable, never stolen, can have remote to inside location to always known amps & volts. Hardwired after transfer switch will also protect coach from generator problems, like malfunctioning voltage regulator, like we had with gen voltage momentarily increasing to 160 volts. Portable are not fully weatherproof. Highly recommend hard wired installed after transfer switch.
BarryHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #36

I was going to go hardwired but after reading another thread and this specific post/suggestion:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/can-...ml#post4335714

Think I will buy a 25' 50amp cord (don't think 15' would be enough) and go portable. Could use the extra length here at the house anyways.

Easy to bypass the EMS as well (if needed).

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman6529 View Post
Hello all!!
I am looking to buy a EMS for our new camper. and was looking for which way to go!! also needs to be 50amp. Thanks Gasman
Here is some info on one of the suggested surge protectors: https://smile.amazon.com/Progressive...dustries+HW50C

If you have a ATS, remove your shore cord from it. Get 2ea 50A plug pigtails and 2ea mountable matching receptacles. These should look like your RV cord plug.
Connect one of the pigtails into the ATS. Watch your colors for correct location. Match the shore cable. Mount one of the outlets to the power cord and mount it to the wall. Connect the other pigtail to the input of the EMS. Connect the correct length of #6AWG cord to the other outlet and to the output on the EMS. Mount them where needed. Plug the EMS into the shore cord outlet and the ATS into the EMS outlet. Do your monitoring wiring as needed.
Safety first. Shut the breaker off on the generator when working in the ATS. Tighten all connection snug but don't over-tighten and strip. To prevent oxidation of the plug prongs, I use a anti-oxide past (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-No...-024/202276207). Wipe on. Wipe off. Enough stays on to do the job.
Happy trails,
Rick
Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #38

Hardwired

I have a SurgeGuard 50 amp -- hardwired. When I installed it, I mounted it in the compartment where the 50 amp shoreline comes in. For the install, I put a connection that matched my shore line plug in on the coach so the shore line did not have to be modified any. From the SurgeGuard, I ran short wire and installed a connection that matched up with my permanent connection on on my RV. That way if the SurgeGuard failed for any reason, I only had to disconnect two connections which removed the failed unit from the circuit and I could plug my shore line directly to the coach ---- the configuration that it came with from the factory. I have had this configuration since 2007 and have not had a failure in the SurgeGuard and it has prevented electrical problems 4 times that I remember.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #39

I wouldn't ever do a hardwired. I can check the pedestal with my portable before even backing in. I've never heard or read of one being stolen. If a hardwired on fries or quits, you're screwed. Mine is padlocked to my 50A shore power cord. Not exactly easy for a grab and run theft. Nope... I'd never do hardwired!
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:13 AM   #40

EMS

I installed a hard wired Progressive industries 50 amp unit. It has let me know of numerous problems and shut down my A/C units when there was not enough voltage to run without damage. It was a bit tedious to install but not really difficult. I had to move a few things around to make room. It works very well.

Good Luck!
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #41

After looking inside my fryed portable protector, I don't want one hard wired inside. If that had cought fire when it went on the pedestal, that would be ok. I was asleep. Hard wired inside and that happened, no thanks! That's just me!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems