Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Will doing this boost our Water Pressure?

In our CG the owner has a restriction on the water supply. Our CG is a annual leased park and is always full (leased). When all the residents are there on weekends or major holidays it often puts our water supply pushed to it's limits. Many of the residents have very nice landscaped lots and thus they also are running water sprinklers.

The problem is, you have all these people taking showers, washing clothes, watering lawns at the same time and it drops our CG water pressure down. Sometimes to a trickle. My lot not so much effected because I am not at the end of the line.

The question came up by a neighbor who asked me and others this....
"What if I fill my units water tank and leave on the pump"? Will the city water supply, augmented by the RV's units pump boost our water pressure so we never experience that drop in pressure?

Those of us he asked did not know the answer to that and I offered to pose that question to you all. Thanks! Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

FWIW I think it depends on the unit. If there is a check valve in the city water connection I would not think the system would feed back. OTOH anybody who fills their internal tank and runs off their internal pump will not notice any pressure drop and will not be adding to the campground pressure loss.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #3

Not really--most RVs have a checkvalve in the city water supply to keep water stored in the RV tank from being pumped back into the city water; also allows RV pump to provide pressurized water from storage tank in the event city pressure is low. Therefore, if city water pressure is higher than pump pressure, most if not all water used is from the city. City water pressure less than RV pump, Rv pump pressure closes checkvalve. Bottomline-- using stored RV tank water, would reduce overall consumption in the park, and overall pressure for those not using RV tank water would improve.....so some benefit....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
The question came up by a neighbor who asked me and others this....
"What if I fill my units water tank and leave on the pump"? Will the city water supply, augmented by the RV's units pump boost our water pressure so we never experience that drop in pressure?
That is more or less exactly what I do in many parks.. The water sourece when you shower will be EITHER City or Tank via on-board pump provided you have enough int the tank.

Whichever has higher pressure.. The pump will decide.

if City water is over around 45 PSI it will provide
If it drops. the pump kicks in and pulls from the tank

Make sure you do not drain the tank or interesting (not bad) things happen.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use your tank and pump during prime park usage time and then refill your tank when overall park demand is low. This works at 2 parks that we use that have the same problem.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Pre-Charged Water Tank

Running off the RV pump while using water from the tank in the RV would do most jobs in the RV, the usual shower and faucet. But, if for some reason you need more water than the few gallons per minute that you can get from your pump, then you may need to add a pre-charged water tank to the RV. You can get a 42 gallon tank with a draw down of about 5 gallons and still get 40 psi. But, then you need the room for a pre-charged tank in the RV. I suppose you could simply just get a bigger water pump if you need more water.

Does anyone else here have a pre-charged water tank in their RV? Wondering how you use it.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we do exactly as you mentioned at a few parks we frequent, water pressure there varies wildly..have no reason but it does, I think there main pumps shut down and it takes a bit for the pressure to come back up once its drops below 30 psi

so I fill the water tank when we arrive and leave the pump on, then if the incoming pressure or flow drops below the threshold for the water pump to come on, it will and augment the incoming water

easy peazy
your fresh water connection should have a check valve that will prevent your pump from back feeding the parks line. if not or its worn out, you can add one inline of the main hose or at the spigot
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water